Dimensions for A6M2-N SuiSen

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ivan1GFP

Tech Sergeant
Mar 19, 2008
Hello All,
Does anyone here have a more readable version of this drawing?
I am looking for the dimensions which are labeled in this drawing but many of them are not readable.

Thanks.
- Ivan.

Attachments

• A6M2-N_Suisen_Tech-draw-ART-1.jpg
    A6M2-N_Suisen_Tech-draw-ART-1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 465
Thank you very much Shinpachi!
Do you happen to remember what book this drawing came from?
I am trying to figure out how difficult it would be to convert a 3D model of the A6M2 Model 21 to the A6M2-N version.

- Ivan.

Thanks Shinpachi.
It is a bit ironic that the model that I am trying to update was originally based on a set of drawings in a book by William Green.
With those drawings, there was a lot left to interpretation and a lot of inaccuracies.
Most of those issues have been corrected over the years but only to an "eyeball" standard and not to any exact dimensions.
Hopefully they are in reasonable agreement with the dimensions in these drawings.

This will be my first attempt at building a float plane, so we will see how it goes.

I was guessing that the drawings were from one of several books I had seen mentioned in other forums and didn't expect the source to be a periodical.

- Ivan.

Probably you are talking about the legendary series of drawing books "精密図面を読む (Seimitsu zumen wo yomu = Reading accurate drawings) drawn by the legendary drawer 松葉稔 (Matsuba, Minoru) and published by 酣燈社 (Kantosha) decades ago.

IIRC, there might have been the drawings of A6M2-N as the drawer and publisher are same as 航空情報 (Kokujoho) this time.

Let me look forward to your fantastic seaplane job, Ivan :)

037koukuu.jpg

Source: 航空機の原点 精密図面を読む|ニコロ美術

Hello Shinpachi,
I believe those were the books I was thinking of. They have been mentioned as sources for some very nice dimensional drawings.

As for a very high quality 3D model, I don't believe I am going for anywhere near the level of detail that you achieve with your models.
I only am going for a representative model for a very old (circa 1999) flight simulator and the limit for complexity is about 1200 polygons.
I MAY be able to exceed those limits slightly by combining multiple projects into one, but in level of detail, it will be comparable to the typical 1:144 scale plastic model.

Combat Flight Simulator was never intended to support "landable" water or seaplanes, so I will need to think of some fancy programming to display a wake and hide the underside of at least the main float when the aircraft is stationary.

One of the first things I will need to do is to shift the Origin (0, 0, 0) of the model because I will not very smart when I first built it.
I used the engine thrust line as the vertical Center of Gravity and that has already caused some minor problems with handling: The wing tanks are quite a bit below the CoG and affect the roll rate.

It will be some time before I actually have anything to show.

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back