Directional Antenna Pods for WWII Aircraft

JWagner

Recruit
1
0
Joined
Apr 27, 2026
I have two directional antenna pods that (I believe) are WWII vintage, but there's little information regarding them online.

They were found hidden in the loft of my wife's great-grandfather's old work shed while cleaning out the property several years ago. We have no idea where they came from. Her GGF did not serve in the military, but he did repair pocket watches in his later years, so an ex-AF friend theorized that he might have been contracted to repair the tiny gear mechanisms in them at the time.

Unlike all the trash trash I cleared out, something told me not dumpster them, but I honestly have no idea if they have any value or what to do with them, so I'm hoping that someone here might be able to give me some insight and/or point me in the right direction regarding what to do with them.

It seems they might be of use to someone restoring an old plane, so I'd like to find them a good home.

(Btw - I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this message)
 

Attachments

  • Antenna_Pod_1As.JPG
    Antenna_Pod_1As.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Antenna_Pod_1Bs.JPG
    Antenna_Pod_1Bs.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Antenna_Pod_2As.JPG
    Antenna_Pod_2As.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Antenna_Pod_2Bs.JPG
    Antenna_Pod_2Bs.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 32
The ADF LP-19-A loop antenna was used for various planes. For instance the C-47, B-24, B-25 and B-17.
 
The LP-18-C Antenna was a part of the SCR-282 Radio Compass. It is similar to the SCR-280 mentioned above.

SCR-282 Radio Compass.jpg
 
Andy, the Loop LP-21 antenna was used with the SCR-269*, AN~ARN-7 radio compass systems. IIRC there were the LP-21 variants ... LP-21-A, LP-21-B, LP-21-AM, LP-21-F, LP-21-L and the LP-21-LM. The LP-21-LM was a part of the SCR-269-G for instance. Judging by the pics of the support tops ( bottoms depending on the view ;) ) these could vary in the types of the sockets and plugs.

SCR-269_Data.png

AN_ARN-7_Data.png


21.jpg

21-A.jpg

21LM.jpg

Loop Antenna Type MN-36-C (Loop-LP-21-A).jpg

the pic source: the net
 
Tony Kambic Tony Kambic do you have a similar picture for an LP-21 loop? Asking because our Spartan Mosquito restoration carried this unit.
I do not. I'm helping with the restoration of a PBY-5A and I do not know much about these loop antenna units. I just continually grab photographs of parts so I can post when they become a topic.
 
Thanks guys. I have secured all the components for our ADF system and we have the "football". What I'm not sure of is the motor that drives the loop. I assume its a motor because the loop itself is inaccessible so there must be a drive unit that connects to the remote control.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back