Experience with other WWII forums? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Acheron

Airman 1st Class
Nov 16, 2019
I am interested in military history in general and WII specifically. Do you people have experience with other forums, especially regarding WWII warships, tanks/AFVs or small arms? I am asking especially since these topics seem to attract people like Wehraboos and such which can quickly poison an entire forum.

For the Pacific naval war, Tully's Port, headed by Tony Tully of Shattered Sword fame, is excellent, with some outstanding writers present amongst the contributors -- along with the inevitable iconoclast or two who tries to get the beehive stirred up with the odd bomb thrown into a convo. Well worth the reading, but fairly slow-paced.

I've tried a couple of others, but haven't found a right combination of knowledge, tone, and attitude that really works for me, so I simply surf Youtube and my favorite historical sites for info without discussion.

I am interested in military history in general and WII specifically. Do you people have experience with other forums, especially regarding WWII warships, tanks/AFVs or small arms? I am asking especially since these topics seem to attract people like Wehraboos and such which can quickly poison an entire forum.
For Axis Military history and biography search:
AHF or Axis History Forum, is one of best forums I know. There are so many things to read about Panzers and their Aces, or OoB (order of battle) and ToO&E (table of organisation and equipment) as well as a great place to trace high award holders or identify a specific high ranking officer / General.

For Kriegsmarine and specially, U-boat section of it, and naval vessels, in General, U-boat.net is one of best sites.

For a very short biography of Generals from different countries during WW2, Generals.dk is highly advised.

Also some of our members have dedicated sites / weblogs / forums to a specific type of weapon or person.

Also there are several well known writers and authors among users.

I'm a fan of the knowledge and friendliness on Britmodeller.com. Yes, it's a modeling-centric site but they often dig into all sorts of esoteric details that go far beyond British subjects. There are separate areas, each-subdivided into time periods, for military aviation, civil aviation, armour, and maritime, with further areas (not sub-divided into time periods) for vehicles, figures, space and even sci-fi. The overall forum is very well moderated and virtually all my interactions have been friendly, positive and, most importantly, informative.

Another site with a British bent is ww2talk.com. Again, the clue is in the title...it's focused on WW2 and primarily British participation. However, the knowledge base is, again, incredibly broad so you won't get fingers pointed at you for raising a non-British topic. Like Britmodeller, I've always found a warm reception there with knowledgeable responses from other forum members.

I find Britmodeller good for the information, but I had one of their moderators take umbrage at my posts highlighting walkarounds I'd done and he blocked me, accusing me of being a troll, stealing images from others' sites until I advised him that the site I got the images from was in fact my own. He then told me that he did not want me to post anymore walkarounds on the site or he will ban me. Petty, much?

In that time I had a couple of guys PM me saying that they enjoyed my walkarounds for obvious reasons, which is why I posted them on a modelling site in the first place, but the mod who got his nose out of joint collected his own walkarounds, which weren't even his own photographic work, yet in my case all the images I posted were my own, and of course I was treading on his territory... So I haven't posted on Britmodeller in a couple of years now, but I do go there for information.

The Falke Eins blog is great, the fella who runs it is a member here and is very well informed:

The Secret Projects forum is also brilliantly enlightening:

One of my fave light reading sites is Hushkit:

A New Zealand centric aviation site is Wings over New Zealand:

Lots of others, Dinger Dell's site - he's also a member, Geoff Goodall's Australian aviation site etc... Lots of stuff out there for specific information

I find Britmodeller good for the information, but I had one of their moderators take umbrage at my posts highlighting walkarounds I'd done and he blocked me, accusing me of being a troll, stealing images from others' sites until I advised him that the site I got the images from was in fact my own. He then told me that he did not want me to post anymore walkarounds on the site or he will ban me. Petty, much?

In that time I had a couple of guys PM me saying that they enjoyed my walkarounds for obvious reasons, which is why I posted them on a modelling site in the first place, but the mod who got his nose out of joint collected his own walkarounds, which weren't even his own photographic work, yet in my case all the images I posted were my own, and of course I was treading on his territory... So I haven't posted on Britmodeller in a couple of years now, but I do go there for information.
Glad he did for obvious reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back