Explosive performance of the USAAF's mainly US bombs in WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The power of the individual bombs would be based on style and size. GP's are filled with one of three compounds....TNT, Amatol or Comp B. Comp B is a mixture of RDX and TNT. Case design, wall thickness and fuzing all come into play to determine the destructive power. From a purely chemical stand point, you can figure that any of the bombs contain between 14 and 51% of the drop weight in explosive filler. As an example, the AN-M30, which is one of the 100 pound GP's, weighs 108 lbs at release and has just over 54 pounds of explosive filler.

TM-9-1980 is a good source of WW2 era info for US ordinance, while OP-998 and OP-1664 Volume 1 and 2, cover various other ordinance items.

Try "Terminal Ballistic Data Vol. III" from 1945 - it should answer most questions re the effects the ordnance has on various targets. Between that and the ordnance manuals cvairwerks mentioned in his post above you will have most of the generally available data at the end of WWII for the US bombs.

Attachments

• Terminal Ballistics data vol3 1945.pdf
    25.8 MB · Views: 5
TM-9-1980 can be found here:

OP-1664 and various others can be found here:

For probably all you would want to know about the subject, here's the gateway...

Thanks for the answers, the "Terminal Ballistic Data Vol. III" from 1945 already answers a few questions for me.
I'll look for the other TMs and OP and hope that I can get them as PDFs so I can print them out

I would also suggest the following:

Effects of Impact and Explosion — Summary Technical Report of Division 2, NDRC — Volume 1.
You can download it from the Library of Congress website using this link. Select from the drop-down menu the format (PDF by default) and click the 'Go' button. The file will open in a new browser tab. Once it finishes loading you can save the file to your hard drive. Note that it is a big file: 533 total pages, 404 MB in size.

Aircraft Munitions versus Specific Targets — Volume 1 — Munitions

Explosives and Terminal Ballistics — A Report Prepared for the AAF Scientific Advisory Group

I believe the latter two can be found at the excellent Bulletpicker website.

As an example, the AN-M30, which is one of the 100 pound GP's, weighs 108 lbs at release and has just over 54 pounds of explosive filler.

The exact figures vary sometimes between reference sources, due in part to natural variances within the ordnance itself.. The AN-M30/M30A1 had a filling of either 53-54 lbs of Amatol 50-50, or 56-57 lbs of TNT, or 63 lbs of Tritonal. Composition 'B' does not seem to have been used in this class of bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back