F-35 40 Knot Approach and Landing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Typo on my part, I meant to say untidy. What with all those doors open, especially the huge one just behind the cockpit that serves the man lift fan. Before seeing the video I could not envisage a forward take off with that door open, the idea seemed unfeasible. A bit like driving a car at 60mph with the bonnet open

Well as you said, it works....

I think we're going to see more clips this week.

that would be because the Yak 38 was strictly VTOL, therefore the door was not generating any drag at unstick. During transition the door was lowered as forward speed increased. On the F-35 it is fully open throughout take off.

You could also refer to the Mikoyan and Sukhoi STOL demonstrators of the 1960's though which had the same arrangement, but a look at any of these three shows the doors open at a much shallower angle that that shown on the F-35.

I just had visions of it being ripped off as the plane accelerated

Last edited:

I think you saw that door stay open because of the testing. Its "SOP" on high performance jets to immediately clean te aircraft up as soon as a positive rate of climb is attained and on that aircraft I think that would happen pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. I was just saying how the video contradicted my own preconception.

I have to say, structurally that door must be exceptionally strong. It appears that it may be generating some fairly significant lift. I suspect the flight control algorithms take this into account and may utilize this lift contribution to help counteract the loss of lift from the forward fan during transition.

I'm with Waynos, she reminds me of a ladybug with all her body shells deployed to get her wings out for flight.

The Yak was capable of a rolling takoff in a similar manner as the Harrier it wasn't limited to VTOL only operations. The door stayed open without any problems so I don't see why the F35 shoulld have any problems.

Yeah, but my earlier doubts (now dispelled) were borne of the fact that it is a large wide solid door, quite unlike the other mentioned examples, wide open into the slipstream (and angled forwards) whilst the plane is accelerating. It just kinda looked unnatural.

Nice video, you can see the runway fittings being destroyed on liftoff.

I went back and replayed the clip at home, I'm limited in viewing video at work...

That's a concrete runway at Patuxent River NAS, there are no "fittings" on the runway. The "FOD" that was blown back from the F-35's take off was either a painted runway center line which is similar to the markings painted on common roads and those markings get blown off all the time, embedded rubber in the middle of the runway or some other FOD that found its way on the runway. The third item I would be really surprised about because military airfields (at least here in the states) have ground ops people who check the runways in vehicles before the airfield officially opens.

Let me make something clear. All this talk about this aircraft blowing chunks of the runway up is nonsense. I didn't say anything the other day but that report that mentioned that the aircraft would need special pads for VTOL ops may be true - HOWEVER, there are people in the USAF called "CIVIL ENGINEERING" or CE who will deal with this problem, as the same with the navy, more than likely "SEABEES." I think you might have heard of them...

If this aircraft was a hazard to any runway, it would not be flying.

There must be a glitch in the Matrix. Didn't I post that same comment for Butters to the sound of crickets.

"Nice video, you can see the runway fittings being destroyed on liftoff."

So now she's an underpowered, deck crashing, runway 'fittings' destroyer. Lord have mercy.

Users who are viewing this thread