F4U-1D drop tanks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You should be able to do a search to find the Lockheed steel drop tanks post. It has that kind of a title..

I have no idea which F4U's used non-metallic drop tanks, just that apparently some did.

It probably would have been easier to fabricate drop tanks from aluminum rather than steel, given that AL is such a ductile material as well as being lighter. But AL was more of a critical material and through the war there was a trend to replace aluminum with steel where possible. The BC-312/342 type radios started out with AL chassis and early in the war switched to steel; they were ground-based radios and thus weight was less critical. Some AT-6's were built with steel rather than AL skins.

You should be able to do a search to find the Lockheed steel drop tanks post. It has that kind of a title..

I have no idea which F4U's used non-metallic drop tanks, just that apparently some did.

It probably would have been easier to fabricate drop tanks from aluminum rather than steel, given that AL is such a ductile material as well as being lighter. But AL was more of a critical material and through the war there was a trend to replace aluminum with steel where possible. The BC-312/342 type radios started out with AL chassis and early in the war switched to steel; they were ground-based radios and thus weight was less critical. Some AT-6's were built with steel rather than AL skins.

Thanks. This time (when I searched on fewer terms) I found your post on Lockheed drop tanks. I had no idea aluminum was then a more critical material. I'll need to research Alcoa and Reynolds for their production histories. Thanks again. You've provided another unexpected fact. I'm preparing a family account of my dad's younger brother, a Navy Corsair pilot who died at 22 in the Pacific, and rust in the carburetor seems to have played a role in his crash.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I take it that the last 675 F4U-1Cs and -1Ds (within the BuNo 821xx-828xx range) had provisions for both underwing and centreline external tanks?

I do not know if this is info you are looking for, but toward the end of WW2 and afterward the Corsair sometimes carried what were called 'combatable'(sp?) drop tanks. These tanks were were composite in structure, using materials and construction similar to late war self-sealing fuel tanks. If I remember correctly they were of 150 gallon capacity and were designed to be retained even if combat maneuvers were carried out. They were designed to not have to be jettisoned even with unused fuel still inside. The idea was the pilot would switch to internal fuel for combat, but could retain more fuel for the sake of range and reserve. Only one such tank was usually carried.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back