F4U Corsair stuff

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sgt. Pappy

Airman 1st Class
Jun 7, 2006
Hey all

i've been looking all over the place for the maximum range (internal fuel) of the F4U-1A (1x 237 US Gallon main tank, 2x 62 US Gallon unprotected wing fuel tanks) and the F4U-1D (1x 237 tank). I've been checking www.spitfirepeformance.com but i can't seem to find an accurate or understandable answer.

Also, I'd like to clarify that the P W R-2800-8W was a 2-stage, 2-speed supercharged engine, right? NOT a single stage, dual-speed.

Wondering about performance as well (F4U-1A vs. F4U-1D, when both are equipped with the R-2800-8W and when the F4U-1A is equipped only with the R-2800-8).

I've got the manual for the engine on cd somewhere around here... I'll look for it and let you know about the supercharger...

Hey all

i've been looking all over the place for the maximum range (internal fuel) of the F4U-1A (1x 237 US Gallon main tank, 2x 62 US Gallon unprotected wing

I assumed ALL the tanks had protection...

when did they not?

i've been looking all over the place for the maximum range (internal fuel) of the F4U-1A (1x 237 US Gallon main tank, 2x 62 US Gallon unprotected wing fuel tanks) and the F4U-1D (1x 237 tank). I've been checking www.spitfirepeformance.com but i can't seem to find an accurate or understandable answer.

Also, I'd like to clarify that the P W R-2800-8W was a 2-stage, 2-speed supercharged engine, right? NOT a single stage, dual-speed.

Wondering about performance as well (F4U-1A vs. F4U-1D, when both are equipped with the R-2800-8W and when the F4U-1A is equipped only with the R-2800-8).

You might want to take a gander at http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/f4u/f4u-1-acp.pdf, specifically, and at F4U Performance Trials, in general, for other F4U performance reports. Pretty much everything you are looking for.

I assumed ALL the tanks had protection...
when did they not?

The F4U-1 had non-self sealing tanks in the leading edge of the outer wings, outboard of the guns. These were primarily for ferry use and were, generally, not filled in combat areas. Starting with the F4U-1D the wing tanks were eliminated.

Rich

The wing fuel tanks (which were only fitted in the F4U-1,-1A,-1C) were auxiliary fuel tanks and were not self-sealing or armored. The F4U-1D had them removed - which saved a bit of weight. The f4U-1D's still had quite a bit of range even without them.

Just wishing to find the performance difference between a clean F4U-1D (no hardpoints, rocket racks) and a clean F4U-1A when both are fitted with the P W R-2800-8W (thats the water-injected one).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back