You seem to have a tenuous grasp on statistics. There are examples of people being shot in the head without suffering permanent damage, but it is not typical.
I did not post any statistics, I posted an example, in part because I thought this was fairly well known here.
You seem to have a tenuous grasp on analogies. And you are making some assumptions here.
Gunshot wounds to the head are indeed frequently fatal. Having worked in an emergency room, I'd say usually.
But does your analogy hold? I would say no, it does not. A better analogy might be "cannon strikes to the cockpit" in which case you might be right. But aircraft are large, strongly amde machines, protected by armor and other measures, and they don't always go down so easily.
So how about cannon strikes on fighters? Well, I can say "For a fact" that it is certainly not uncommon for a fighter to survive multiple 20mm cannon strikes. How do I know this? Because I have a particular interest in the operational histories of air to air engagements in various Theaters of WW2. Engagement with cannon armed Axis fighters (and bombers with defensive cannon) in the Pacific and Mediterranean happened almost every day in certain periods, and routinely resulted in
damaged Allied fighters. Far more often than not, these actually returned to base in spite of that damage. I don't know what the precise ratio is but it's fairly high, around 3 or 4 to 1. Most of the Allied Aces in these Theaters were in fact involved in incidents, sometimes more than once, in which their aircraft were in fact struck multiple times and badly damaged, but they lived through it. Frequently there was photographic evidence, I only posted one example. Here is an example of the combat record:
July 11, 1942. British fighters from 73, 238, 2 SAAF and 5 SAAF squadrons engaged German fighters from JG 27 and 53, heavy fighters from 4.(H)/12 and bombers from II./LG 1. Losses for the British were 4 shot down and 8 damaged. (one Kittyhawk, two Tomahawk and one Hurricane shot down, one Kittyhawk three Tomahawks and three Hurricanes damaged but returned home, and one more Kittyhawk damaged ("single bullet in oil system") and force landed but later recoverd). German losses were 3 shot down and 1 damaged (two Bf 109F-4 "shot down by P-40s", one '60% damage', and one BF 110F-2 shot down.) The Bf 1094F-4 and Bf 110 are armed with 20mm cannon.
July 13, 1942 British fighters from 6, 601, 274, 450, 92, 1 SAAF, and 2 SAAF sqns engaged German fighters from JG 27 and 53, and Stukas from I and II./StG 3. Losses for the British were 2 shot down and 3 damaged (1 Kittyhawk badly damaged by flak, two Hurricanes shot down by Bf 109, two Hurricane IIc badly damaged by Bf 109). German losses were 2 shot down and 2 Stukas damaged (Bf 109F-4 "shot down by P-40" and pilot KiA, another "shot up in combat" and forced landed)
I'm not saying that this was always the ratio, but it certainly wasn't particularly unusual either.
We could assume of course, that all the damaged aircraft were only hit by light machine guns and all of the destroyed aircraft were hit by cannon, but I think that is highly unlikely.
My conclusion is that it was not actually so easy to tear an aircraft to pieces even with 20mm cannon. Conversely, with accurate aim, even a pair of light machine guns was sufficient to shoot down even pretty tough fighters, as the pilots of many Ki-43s demonstrated in China and the Pacific.
Poon Lim survived 133 days drifting in the Atlantic on a life raft with no supplies but the vast majority of people adrift at sea don't last any near that time. Tsutomu Yamaguchi survived both Hiroshima and Nagasaki but thousands didn't. Outliers do not constitute the general trend.
I think this is another flawed analogy
The statement that American fighter had very little trouble shooting down Axis fighters is pure nonsense. What is your basis for that statement?
You seem to be implying a bit more than I said, I was referring to cases
where they hit the enemy fighter with their guns. We were discussing the power of the guns, specifically. I will extend this and note that British and American fighters had little trouble shooting down Axis bombers either.
I learned in high school when someone says "I know for a fact" to discount what comes next.