Ok lets talk about this part for a minute. I admit, I'm not an expert on the Skua. However, I read this on the internets:
dingeraviation.net
"
The Skua had a major disadvantage in that it been designed without any armour protection for the crew or self-sealing fuel tanks to cope with bullet and shrapnel holes. An armoured windscreen and some armour plate behind the pilot was provided for combat squadrons in late 1940, but the poor TAG in the rear seat had no such protection and faced being roasted alive by the blow-torch flames of a burning fuel tank blown back by the airflow. It is reported that before each combat mission the TAG had to sign for a small bag which contained corks of various sizes with which he was expected to plug any bullet holes in the fuel tank! ³"
The author of that page gives his source as:
³ An account of the "bag of corks" is found in Chapter 1 of Stuart E. Sowards book about R.E. Bartlett "One Mans War". ISBN 0-9697229-3-1, Published by Neptune in Canada.
So that sounds like no armor or self sealing fuel tanks. Now if this is wrong, I'd be glad to learn so. Do you have another source which contradicts this?
Right, but the 57 SBD-1 which were made, so far as I know, never went into combat. The 87 SBD-2 I'm not sure about, some may have been used as Recon birds.
But the other 99.7% of the production run which were completed during the war did all have self sealing fuel tanks
and armor.
First, I did not initiate this comparison, I just commented on it. I'm very glad for the Royal Navy that the Skua was rapidly phased out, it's too bad they didn't have much to replace it with until they got Avengers.
Second, can we please stop pretending that every single criticism of any Fleet Air Arm or RAF aircraft is 1) an attack on the British way of life, 2) a comparison between the entire wartime experience of the Americans with that of the British? I'm just discussing the comparison of two Naval aircraft aircraft used in the same war, which was already underway when I chimed in. The Skua wasn't that good. The SBD was, by contrast, pretty good.
Thank God Skua crews did not have to tangle with A6Ms
Well... maybe? The US was fielding a bunch of other aircraft which compared very favorably for the most part to their British equivalents, but the Navy didn't get their gear in order until right before the war started for the Americans. Luckily for them, they were ready by then.
The British got into war much earlier but were also aware of that fact earlier. The procurement / design problems suffered by the FAA cannot simply be attributed to starting the war earlier. The Chinese started the war two years before the British did, but that doesn't say much about their aircraft industry or lack thereof.
I think the F3F could handle a Skua. An A5M would eat it alive.