Fane T.1/40 AOP (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jjr

Airman
Aug 8, 2011
Fane designed and build a small observation aeroplane the Fane T.1/40.
It was only a prototype.
It was a small high wing, pusher single seater.
Who can help me with a drawing of this aeroplane
Jjr

111722_big.jpg

fane_f1-40.jpg

fane140-1.jpg

Thanks forthese pictures, but what about a drawing?
Jjr

Saw your request for Fane AOP..........

The Fane AOP

The Fane F.1/40 was a 1940s British Air Observation Post aircraft design by Captain Gerald Fane's Fane Aircraft Company.

It was designed to Air Ministry specification F.1/40 for an airborne observation post. It was developed by Gerard Fane based on the Comper Scamp. The Scamp had been designed by Nicholas Comper as a two seater but he had not built it but redesigned it as a single seater, the Comper Fly. Fane took the Scamp design and reworked it as the F.1. It was of pusher configuration with a high wing set behind the pilot. A single example serial number T1788 was flown and tested by the Air Ministry at Heston Aerodrome in March 1941. It was in competition with the General Aircraft GAL.47 but neither were selected for service use. In September 1941 the F.1/40 was registered G-AGDJ to the builders, but was scrapped sometime during the war.

Specifications

Data from British Civil Aircraft since 1919 Volume 2

General characteristics
Crew: 2
Length: 23 ft 5 in (7.14 m)
Wingspan: 37 ft 0 in (11.28 m)
Max takeoff weight: 1,500 lb (680 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Continental A-80 , 80 hp (60 kW)

I've been fooling around with this little girl for over six months, trying to develop a set of eighth scale plans ....55" wingspan........480 series electric, etc. Photos were my only reference. Cut out a 28" WS foamie just to see if it would fly. Well, it'll fly, but not real well. It will take someone with a lot more skill than me to build and fly this thing. Way too many unknowns........AOI, Stab incidence, up-thrust, CG, etc. I can see why only one was ever built.... Which was the reason I started this project in the first place. At least now there is some record of her, inadequate though it may be.

In the past, a couple of you guys showed some interest in the Fane, so I decided to complete the drawings as best I could with loads of help from the usual suspects...hogal, Lincoln, and David Terrell among others......you know who you are...thank you all.

If any of you try to take this thing on, you might consider more wing (a lot more), more dihedral, a better airfoil than a Clark-Y or GOE 493 (I tried both). You might also consider better medication.

Note: I'll upload the source drawing (AutoCAD 2007) if anyone wants to have a go at refining her. Send me a PM

Attachments

• Fane AOP-3-view.pdf
    311.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Fane AOP - Wings.pdf
    303.7 KB · Views: 183
  • Fane AOP - Fuselage.pdf
    218 KB · Views: 257
I just noticed something about this site.....you guys build static......I build "scale" RC.....If I've intruded...sorry, but at least now there are some drawing of the Fane....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back