Fastest piston-engined fighter of WWII...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello, fellows... I've been searching on internet and in some aircraft books about the fastest piston-engined fighter of WWII. It seems it's not quite conclusive. I found many different results, such as: Dornier Do-335, Hawker Fury, Supermarine Spiful, P-47J etc. I would like to check out your opinion on that. Thanks.

I think we have talked about this before and if my memory serves, I think it was the P-51H. Is that right guys? Might have been the Ta-152H-1.

I don't believe the Do-335 actually saw combat during WWII, just like the F8F Bearcat and Spiteful.

Last edited:
If you are going by aircraft that have seen combat, then I believe it is the Ta 152H. This is off of memory though, so I might be mistaken.

P-47M 473mph / 761km/h

P-51H 487mph / 784km/h

XP-47J 505mph / 813km/h

First one seen combat, second didn't and the third one was a prototype. Pick what you like.

Don't forget the Hornet that was in production topping 760 KM/H although the first squadron was formed postwar.

The Hornet prototype RR 915 first flew on 28 July 1944 with Geoffrey de Havilland Jr. at the controls. Powered by twin Merlin engines, it was the fastest piston-engined fighter in Royal Air Force service. The Hornet also has the distinction of being the fastest wooden aircraft ever built and the second fastest operational twin propeller-driven aircraft — being slightly slower than the unconventional German Dornier Do 335 of 1945.
The prototype achieved 485 mph (780 km/h) in level flight, which came down to 472 mph (760 km/h) in production aircraft.

The first 10 Do 335 A-0s were delivered for testing in May. By late 1944, the Do 335 A-1 was on the production line. This was similar to the A-0 but with the uprated DB 603 E-1 engines and two underwing hardpoints for additional bombs, drop tanks or guns. It was capable of a maximum speed of 763 km/h (474 mph) at 6,500 m (21,300 ft) with MW 50 boost, or 686 km/h (426 mph) without boost, and able to climb to 8,000 m (26,250 ft) in under 15 minutes. Even with one engine out, it could reach about 563 km/h (350 mph).

Last edited:
OK, very nice. Thanks. So, after all these very clarifying considerations, can we conclude that the fastest piston-engined fighter ever in combat during WWII was the Republic P-47M (with max speed over 760km/h)? Was this one even faster than the J version?

OK, very nice. Thanks. So, after all these very clarifying considerations, can we conclude that the fastest piston-engined fighter ever in combat during WWII was the Republic P-47M (with max speed over 760km/h)? Was this one even faster than the J version?

In my earlier post you can see that M was slower than J but J was only a prototype.

The YP-47M had a top speed of 473 mph (410 kn, 761 km/h) and it was put into limited production with 130 (sufficient for one group) built. However, the type suffered serious teething problems in the field due to the highly tuned engine. Engines were unable to reach operating temperatures and power settings and frequently failed in early flights from a variety of causes: ignition harnesses cracked at high altitudes, severing electrical connections between the magneto and distributor, and carburetor valve diaphragms also failed. Persistent oil tank ruptures in replacement engines were found to be the result of inadequate protection against salt water corrosion during transshipment. By the time the bugs were worked out, the war in Europe was nearly over.
So still slower by a bit than the Dornier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back