Finding F6f Hellcats... a little help?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

backpacker1040

Recruit
Apr 16, 2016
New to the forum, and apologize if this is not posted in the correct sub-forum.

My grandfather, who passed away in 1996, flew Hellcats in World War 2. I've recently been on a mission collecting original Hellcat artifacts (specifically, instrument gauges).

My mother, who is also a pilot, still owns my grandfather's original Navy flight log where he logged the serial number of the specific aircraft that he flew, along with other information pertaining to the flight.

I was wondering if there were any online resources to look up information by serial number on the last known whereabouts (or for that matter, the "recycle date") of those aircraft. As unlikely as it is, I'd love to find out if there are any Hellcats that are still surviving that he flew. Or, it would be great to just find out historical information on those aircraft (i.e. "crashed in May of 1958...").

I thought I came across a website about a year ago that had a lot of that information, but I can't find it today. Any help in performing a search by serial number for information on the last known whereabouts of Hellcats would be appreciated.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. I'll dig around a bit and see if anything shows up.

Any additional resources would also be appreciated.

Dave, I've got a book that has every aircraft and s/n that flew with the Fleet Air Arm including Hellcats so I think we can cover it. Checking out your link, never seen that before. Thanks.

Geo

Thanks all. I don't have the flight log in front of me. My mom has possession of it, and she's in IL (I'm in WI).
I'll ask her for the serial numbers and will post it when I get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back