First aid kits

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maxrobot1

Staff Sergeant
807
2,238
Sep 28, 2009
Did WW2 US Grasshopper planes have first-aid kits? I imagine they did. I think every USAAF and USN aircraft had a first-aid kit -, or several.(as in bombers)I've seen the red cross symbol on Bf-109s and Stukas so they must have had them too. British A/C must have had them.
Did the military liaison planes have survival gear and firs-aid kits?
 
The tiedown kits were prized, and seldom removed, as spotter planes often operated with advancing units, in pea patches, ... Patton husbanded AV gas, loved the effectiveness of his Maytag Messerschmitts, as armored could run on 115 octane, but not the reverse. Remember. many Shermans used aircraft developed radials.

These kits only weighed >30' I guess, in a long canvas bag, long threaded end 1/4" steel rods, swivel rings and an expanding arrowhead anchor on opposite end ... heaviest piece was clever cast iron sliding hammer/wrench install pipe which would leave just an inch of rod above ground to attach ring/and unscrew rod later.
All but expanded head would remove for reuse. Extras were in kit. Similar to this but rod, not cable in ground, and put in 3', rated at 1500' to get out of even sand!
arrowhead2__25685.jpg

It only took a 20mph gust to turn an empty Piper/T-craft into rubble, while three points would handle high windstorms.

I'd buy them from surplus stores for my sailplane X/C trips, and saved my birds a few times. I'd buy extra arrowhead ends for a nickel or so in quantity.

Three or four kits would secure even a B-24 in N.Africa sand!!!! REALLY!
 
Does anyone have information/pix on these simple/clever/effective kits, also used in SoPac to tie down buildings, etc., and our MACV CBs used them in 'Nam.

I've got at least one kit with boxes of rusting arrows ... buried in boxes. Google only comes up with modern, even leading with WWII!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back