First Leonardo TH-73 Helicopter Delivered to USN

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Replaces the TH-57 Sea Ranger, which they have been operating for 50 years.
TH-73 Delivery.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta wonder why a trainer version of the UH-72 would not have worked at least as well, and there would have been some commonality as well.

Gotta wonder why a trainer version of the UH-72 would not have worked at least as well, and there would have been some commonality as well.
I worked with the civilian version of the UH-72 (EC145) and IMO another POS. I was told they performed well but there were always issues with the "variable rotor speed and torque matching system" AKA VARTOMS. I planned maintenance for 4 EC145s and at any given time it seemed at least one was broke.

Here is one for you,
The US Army's new light helicopter, the UH-72A Lakota, is just starting to come on-line but they've discovered a rather critical flaw. The ship shows problems with overheating in environments that are considered warm but well below the average temperatures of the areas the Army is currently deployed.

During flight tests in Southern California in mild, 80-degree weather, cockpit temperatures in the UH-72A Lakota soared above 104, the point at which the Army says the communication, navigation and flight control systems can overheat and shut down.
No cockpit equipment failed during the nearly 23 hours of testing, according to the Pentagon report, prepared in July. But the report concluded that the aircraft "is not effective for use in hot environments."
The Army told the AP that to fix the cockpit overheating problem, it will take the highly unusual step of adding air conditioners to many of the 322 helicopters ordered.
The retrofitting will cost at least $10 million and will come out of the Army's budget, according to the Army.
Helicopters generally do not have a lot of excess performance. Air conditioners work by taking bleed air out of the engine (instead of sending it all of the turbine where it produces power) and running through an air cycle air conditioning system to turn it into cool air. For helicopters one approach to mitigate the power requirements was to mix the cool air with air taken from the cabin in order to reduce the amount of bleed air required. This is possible because they do not try to pressurize the cabin.

Now, the UH-72A was bought for non-combat use, so deployment to war zones overseas was not supposed to happen, but I think we all know how that will work out in the end. Were DC-3's supposed to fly into combat, let alone strafe targets?

And it do get hot in the USA. I recall Bill Gunston, the famous aviation writer, saying that he praised the US aviation industry so much that he was asked why he did not move there. His response was that he viewed only a very small area of the USA as being actually habitable, the original settlers clearly being of incredibly hardy stock that could take anything. And so we have a new European helicopter that is not of such hardy stock.

I worked on a program where Lakotas was supposed to replace 2 or 3 UH-1Hs. Within a year our customer pulled the Hueys out of mothballs and got rid of the Lakotas

Our Sheriff's Dept got two UH-1H surplus for about $5K each and put them in flying condition. One was ex-USAF and had been used as an Aggressor chopper, with a different kind of camo. They took the big side doors off it
I did work for Dale County Sheriff Dept., they had 2 OH-58s and a Loach, all army surplus

I worked with the civilian version of the UH-72 (EC145) and IMO another POS. I was told they performed well but there were always issues with the "variable rotor speed and torque matching system" AKA VARTOMS. I planned maintenance for 4 EC145s and at any given time it seemed at least one was broke.
It's funny, because the fore-runner, the BK117 was extremely reliable. So much so that the company I worked for at the time put up-rated LTS101-850 engines in them to get Cat-A performance.

It's funny, because the fore-runner, the BK117 was extremely reliable. So much so that the company I worked for at the time put up-rated LTS101-850 engines in them to get Cat-A performance.
The company I retired from had a few 117s still operating and they were reliable

Our Sheriff's Dept got a number of OH-58's, stripped some for parts, and keeps three in flying condition. One is still in its OD and has floats - it was shot down in VN -but the others have the usual kind of police paint job, spotflights, and FLIR. At any one time they are putting one 58 through "Mod-IRAN."

They installed a surplus hoist in the Aggressor UH-1H.

The company I retired from had a few 117s still operating and they were reliable
you should listen all this "warm opinions" German military has expressed after they had swapped Bo105/PAH-1 to Tigers - i've been pretty sure that have been ready to use this helicopters against Airbus folks - but it does no matter - all this helicopter can attack is budget of Heers Fliegertruppen. I always considered what is standing behind fact that next generation of machines we are producing is inferior to one is replacing - i tend to take risk with statement that source of this is corporate/iphone culture. With all this fancy gadgets we may put in design right now we are simply loosing purpose - something called "big picture" exist only on appendix slides in management powerpoint slides and is no longer real design driver.

Meanwhile:

"An aerodynamic problem is the major source of the one-year production delay for the Boeing/Leonardo MH-139 Gray Wolf helicopter, a U.S. Air Force official said June 22. The Air Force's fiscal 2022 budget request omitted production funding for the MH-139."

Attachments

• mh-139-boeing.jpg
    mh-139-boeing.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 19
I've worked with Agusta products and they really suck! Bad product support, things always breaking, our mechanics were always stressed to the max. I hope the Navy has better luck dealing with these folks!
That was my experience exactly! I also wish my former branch better luck with them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back