Resurrecting an ancient thread. After reading the two chapters linked above (still available), I have a better understanding of the subject, and, as you might expect, it's worse than I thought.
I was born in the late '50's, so I grew up during the Vietnam war. As I got old enough to understand what happens in war, and man's inhumanity to man, I became horrified by napalm and flamethrowers. Even as a pre-teen, I spent many sleepless nights unable to get this out of my mind.
As I got older, I learned how to face my fears, and I've done a fair amount of study of flame weapons. They're still horrifying, maybe more so.
The Brits were, in many ways, the kings of flame. Their man portable flamethrower, the lifebuoy looking thing, was apparently an effective weapon, and used a lot in the eastern theaters. But they developed and built numerous stationary flamethrowers for the expected invasion. They were able to bathe entire sections of road in flame, where they expected an invading force to have to pass. The British even had a Petroleum Warfare Department.
The Churchill Crocodile, mentioned above, was used quite a bit in Europe. Very effective against pillboxes and so on, with a much longer range than man-portable units. I read a book by a man who commanded one of these beasts, and it was quite a story. Apparently he only saw victims of his work once, as they would get a command of where to go, trundle into position, shoot flame as directed, and leave. He said he sometimes thought he heard screams.
Some of the early attempts by Americans to develop flame tanks used foreign equipment, such as the Canadian Ronson flamethrower, leading to the aptly named M3A1 "Satan". Of course the Americans developed their own flame tanks.
I watched an interview with a WWII vet who had been a flamethrower. It seemed incongruous to hear him tell about the horrific burns on survivors, when he had been the person who inflicted them. I'm not saying anything bad about the man himself, he's a hero in my book. It wasn't Woody Williams, I forget his name.
Anyway, I thought I'd resurrect this old thread rather than starting a new one, since there's already a lot of information here.