FN5 Lancaster Nose Turret - Expended Cases

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ronl

Airman
Dec 23, 2006
I have a question regarding the Lancaster FN5 Nose turret that I was wondering if someone might be able to answer. When the guns were fired, were the expened cases collected somehow, or did they just fall to the floor and get collected later. I have seen a picture of the nose of a lancaster full or spent cases and links, but I have also read that small bags or a flexible chute was used to collect the cases and links. I have not seen pictures of either of these methods.

The FN5 was used on a variety of aircraft, and different collection methods may have been used depending on the aircraft it was fitted on. In the case of the Lancaster, there wasn't much room in the nose, and for that reason, I am wondering if they just let them fall to the floor and then collected them later. I understand that the nose guns were not used all that often, so maybe it wasn't that much of a concern. However, I also don't think it would be very desirable to let them all fall to the floor given all of the sensitive equipment below.

I look forward to someone providing a definitive answer.

Thanks.

Ron

Hi Ron,

From what I can tell the empty cartridges links were collected in two long narrow boxes located each side of the reflector sight. The containers do not seem to be as large as the ammunition boxes themselves.

I have seen a similar picture where the casings have collected in the nose blister. Is it possible that the empty cartridge container overflowed or some mishap when they were being emptied?

Mike

The spent shells and links were collected in a metal containeer under neath the guns. This container had a cnvas bottem with a zipper fitted to enable ground crews to remove the spent shells etc. Not sure if this was a late war mod or post war as I have only seen pics of postwar lancs with this fitted. Hope this helps.

Lancasterman,

Could you possibly post the pictures of the nose turret case chutes in postwar lancs that you reference in your response above? Thanks.

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back