Full rich mixture

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

...snip...
Direct injection also allows to scavenge cylinder with air instead of mixture and greatly reduce risk of ice formation. That was not featured only by german WWII engine, but also by Japanese ones like Homare....
I suspect that the Homare used a carburetor initially and later a low pressure injection system. I once asked and received a reply at http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/engines/homare-low-pressure-fuel-injection-system-24635.html.

I think you're quite right.

I went from memory, remembering an injection system and giving for granted it was of direct type. Gladly, I learn now that was indeed a low-pressure one as mentioned at link you posted. Thanks for correction.

Cheers,
GB

Years ago I had a Beechcraft Sierra with the IO-360 engine in it. It had fuel injection and it always cranked up when it was cold with nary a problem.

Trying the crank it up when it was HOT was a B*TCH !!!!

Several times I actually drained my battery trying to get that engine to start.

It really kills any trust that your passengers have in your flying abilities when you can't get the engine of your aircraft to start!!!

9 to 11 GPH sounds about right for my old IO-360. As it was a non-aspirated engine, I would usually cruise somewhere between 10,000 and 12,000 feet on my long cross countries. Theoretically, you need oxygen to fly above 10,000' but I never had any problems at 12,000' or even slightly higher.

Anyway, be careful about assigning one BSFC figure to the old engines. The didn't work that way.
Huh????? ("They didn't work that way") Look at some operation manuals for the "OLD" engines. That is if we are talking about WWII and old propliner engines from then to now. Fuel consumption in aviation is a big deal, there is lots of documentation about fuel consumption for the various engines and engine types, from the manufactures. So yes it does work on the old engines.
I used a high out of the "vaccum" "thin air" "aether" etc. number just to show what fuel consumption would be if way rich. I wasn't assigning anything. And I fully agree that the TC-18 was tops for good economy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back