FW-190 Engine Installation

MIflyer

Captain
8,980
20,313
Joined
May 30, 2011
Location
Cape Canaveral
The exceptionally neat cowling of the BMW 801 engine in the FW-190 is to be admired. The engine was only a little smaller in displacement than a Wright R-2600, and at 2700 lb versus 1950 lb, weighed a lot more, while producing a bit more HP. In any case, it is really busy under that cowling!

FW-190Engine.png
 
That is really neat.
Weight of a BMW 801C and D was 1010 kg or 2226 lb ( dry weight including the fan, starter and drives for the aux equipment).
 
Reference source I looked at said 2700 lb, which I assume includes everything but maybe the engine mount.
What would be that source?
 
Thank you.
Please see here for the translated weight table for the 801s, nicked from the manual.

That thread is a gold mine of 801 information, thank you. I recall reading somewhere that the 801 oil cooler + the oil cooler armor (protecting it from the front) was surprisingly heavy at something IIRC around 80kg. I suppose that's included in the 176 kg from the table in the link above?
 
The exceptionally neat cowling of the BMW 801 engine in the FW-190 is to be admired. In any case, it is really busy under that cowling!

Hard to imagine any actual, you know, cooling air fitting in there!
 
That thread is a gold mine of 801 information, thank you. I recall reading somewhere that the 801 oil cooler + the oil cooler armor (protecting it from the front) was surprisingly heavy at something IIRC around 80kg. I suppose that's included in the 176 kg from the table in the link above?
These 176 kg are not just for the oil cooler, but also for the cowling etc. for the 801A and 801L versions; I'm not sure that these engine versions were with the armor for the oil system.
IIRC the armored oil system was for the 801C and 801D (plus the experimental/small series versions, like the E, F and S, as well as the G, that was basically the renamed D for the bombers).

The BMW 801 was many things, a light engine it was not.
 
Hard to imagine any actual, you know, cooling air fitting in there!
Well, it did have a fan and it sure looks like it needed it.

BMW8-1detail-1.jpg
BMW8-1detail-2.jpg
Fancooling1.jpg
Fancooling2.jpg
Fancooling3.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back