FW190C V18 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Azimech

Airman
Oct 30, 2010
I'm searching for RLM performance data on the FW190C V18 "Känguru" turbocharged DB603 fitted prototype. Does anyone know where to find it?

The Fw 190 C was a projected series with the normal DB 603 A engine.
The rebuilt Fw 190 V18U1 was a testbed for the "Höhenjäger 2" program with a DB 603 engine and an external turbocharger DVL Hirth TKL 11.
These are two different developments and should not be mistaken. I have written about it in my book "Vom 1. Höhenjäger zur Fw 190 H". The book included also performance charts from the Fw 190 V18U1.

Dietmar Hermann

Very nice :)

Do you also have pictures and additional info about the cockpit layout and instruments? And I'm interested in the turbocharger/supercharger pressures and how they were controlled, as well as waste-gate operation (manual/automatic? which pressures and turbocharger RPM?) I imagine the barometric device that controlled the hydraulic clutch was adapted as well.

Does your book contain that info?

As far as I know it exist no photograph from the cockpit of the Fw190V18U1. The book contains various photos of the machine, also two diagrammes of the flight performances and a summary of the test results.
The book contains also the complete Focke-Wulf construction description Nr. 252 from 17.8.1942 about the Fw 190 with DB603 and an exhaust turbocharger.
The maximum turbocharger rpm was 19000. At 10 200 m height activated the overspeed trip unit and over this height the constant rpm was 19600. The turbocharger switched on automatically.

Dietmar Hermann

At some point in time there must have existed a photograph of the cockpit, take a look at this, from a russian model kit. And why I think it's genuine: Where's the Revi? And the panel has a completely different setup compared with the A4-A9, the D9-D15 and even the Ta152 C H.

fw190v18-2.gif

Last edited:
It was planned to built 6 experimental models for the "Höhenjäger 2", four of them, the Fw190V18U1, Fw190V29, Fw190V30 and Fw190V31 were realised.
The changes referred primarily to the installation of the turbine. The Fw190V29-V31 got greater wings with a span of 12,3 m and a pressurized cabin.

Dietmar Hermann

Hallo Azimech,

I have looked again. There are at least two cockpit photographs of the Fw190V18U1. One of it is in my book. But the cockpit layout is very different as in your russian model kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back