German aircraft : on which aircraft was the relay with P/N 9-9915B installed ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dec 25, 2020
dear all

Recent diggings in Tarbes airport (South West of France) brought to light a plate of a relay with P/N 9-9519B look at the picture attcehd

I could see here :

9-9519 | Suchergebnisse | Deutscheluftwaffe

that it was installed on Ju88.

But in Tarbes, we had JG101 with Bf109, FW190, Arado 96 and other Bucker Jungmeister..

So, my question is : on which type of aircraft was the relay 9-9519B fitted ?

Thanks for your expertise;

Attachments

• IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 8
Hi Gilles,

The Relaiskastern 9-9519 B was a very common part on many WW2 German aircraft with the electrically operated VDM propeller system. As you can see from its "9" equipment group number, it was a part of the engine equipment, it was an aero-engine sub-system. The Relaiskastern functioned to switch the higher operating current to the pitch motor, using the lower current of the propeller control system to operate its relays.
From your list, it was fitted on the Bf 109 E models with Auto propeller control (and all later versions of the Bf 109).
The VDM documents do not list the Relaiskastern being used on the Fw 190 or the Ju 88 with the BMW 801, which is a little strange as they had Electro/Hydraulic propeller control which had an electric motor. However, the VDM documents do show the 9-9519 B Relaiskastern used on Ju 88 versions with the Jumo 211 engine and VDM propeller.
Overall, the VDM documents do show this part being used on many other types.
Cheers

Eng

Last edited:
Eng, Thanks a lot.
If you are in Germany, I invite you to read my article in next FC about Tarbes airfield (where this plate was found) during the war : activity of JG101 in 1943/1944, young pilots training, many crashes around there... .

Sparorob: I fully agree with you, I am amazed by the knowledge here...

Gilles

Eng, Thanks a lot.
If you are in Germany, I invite you to read my article in next FC about Tarbes airfield (where this plate was found) during the war : activity of JG101 in 1943/1944, young pilots training, many crashes around there... .

Sparorob: I fully agree with you, I am amazed by the knowledge here...

Gilles
Hi Gilles,
I am in UK.

Eng

Hi Gilles,

The Relaiskastern 9-9519 B was a very common part ... snip
It would most likely be "Relaiskasten" (no "r" near the end) - "Relais" meaning "Relais" and "Kasten" meaning "Box"

cheers from germany and the knowledge you people here have is truly amazing.

thanks to everyone here to bring the pieces of the puzzle.
When we assemble them, we have the full picture.

I take the opportunity of this message to share with you pictures of other parts that were found on site : clearly WWII parts, but if you have an idea of their function.
All best to you all.
Gilles

Attachments

• 20240208_124523x.jpg
    20240208_124523x.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3905.JPG
    IMG_3905.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3911.JPG
    IMG_3911.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 8
thanks to everyone here to bring the pieces of the puzzle.
When we assemble them, we have the full picture.

I take the opportunity of this message to share with you pictures of other parts that were found on site : clearly WWII parts, but if you have an idea of their function.
All best to you all.
Gilles

Hi,
Second picture (3905) is the small Undercarriage door that sits alongside the main gear door on the Fw 190.

Eng

Last pic. Control linkage.

Yes. German, WW2. This looks to be the small anodised aluminium fork link with 8mm thread, so it is most likely an engine control rod or fuel system linkage. Flying controls are usually stronger with steel for linkages and threaded joints, sometimes with larger dia alloy tubes.

Eng

Hi Gilles,

First pic is distinctive but tricky. I guess about 7cm dia? Sorry, not sure about this bit?

Yes, please post as many pics as you wish!

Eng

OK, these are not very exciting but I post them :

first one : 99% non Aircraft related, except (left down ) a small plexiglaa fragment and a electrical connector

Attachments

• IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 5
OK, these are not very exciting but I post them :

first one : 99% non Aircraft related, except (left down ) a small plexiglaa fragment and a electrical connector
Yes, and an aircraft anchor-nut.
I presume that this is clearance of ground from possible WW2 debris, for re-development?

Cheers

Eng

Hi Engineman,
that is it, this area will soon be development.
I attach a picture of the diggings.
It was at the airport where where aircraft are parted out : an amazing vision...
JG101 was based there.

can you indicate me on the picture where is the anchor nut ?
Here is my email (it may be easier ..) : gilles.collaveri at hotmail.fr

All best
Gilles

Attachments

• IMG_3894.JPG
    IMG_3894.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3916.JPG
    IMG_3916.JPG
    940.6 KB · Views: 8
Hi Engineman,
It was at the airport where where aircraft are parted out : an amazing vision...
JG101 was based there.

All best
Gilles

Hi Gilles,

The anchor-nut is on img 3897, lower LHS, on the outer edge. It is next to the small Square shape piece. The anchor nut is oval, with two small holes for rivets.

Eng

Hi Engineman,
JG101 was based there.

All best
Gilles
Hi Gilles,

With casual reference to pictorial records, post-war scrapping of aircraft by commercial scrapmen was often done on-site. Engines were removed whole and taken away for breaking-up at a industrial unit. Airframes were usually removed of easy items and drained of fluids, then the large parts were cut into smaller chunks and removed to another industrial unit. Smelters were not usually set-up at airfields, however, burning of wood, rubber and oils was common on site. These "dismantling" sites did not leave much, other than bits and contamination of the soil.
More interesting for aircraft archaeology, are sites where aircraft or parts were buried. This did occur but mostly in smaller numbers, where larger numbers of aircraft were involved it was worthwhile scrapping them. However, finding these burials is difficult.
Cheers

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back