German fuel situation and what to improve on it, 2.0

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think this gets cause and effect wrong. For fertilizer and explosives you need ammonia which you get from the Haber-Bosch process. For HB you need nitrogen, which you can distill from the atmosphere, and hydrogen. Nowadays hydrogen is produced via steam reforming of natural gas, back then it was coal gasification.

Coal hydrogenation via the Bergius process also requires a source of hydrogen (again, coal gasification), but other than that Bergius is not a step in the HB process or vice versa.

Now it made logistical sense to co-locate (as well as a more attractive bombing target) the HB plants with the Bergius plants and hydrogen plants, then as now hydrogen transportation and storage is very tricky. But they could have dispersed them, with one hydrogen production plant for the HB plant and another separate one for the Bergius plant.
I think you missed "(economically)"

1687982621636.png

1687982771294.png

Last edited:
I'm not claiming there weren't synergies in co-location. Like needing a single large hydrogen plant feeding both a HB plant and a Bergius plant instead of two separate smaller ones, logistics infrastructure like roads, rail, port facilities etc. Just saying that as far as the chemical processes themselves are concerned, beyond the supply of hydrogen there's no particular reason they need to be co-located.

From the perspective of resiliency (against bombing, say) they arguably should have dispersed them more (I recall you making this argument, if not in this thread then elsewhere?). Even at a cost in economic efficiency.

Continuing my spelunking into the coal-oil transition for warships, in the UK in the runup to WWI there was a great debate wrt modernizing the RN to switch from coal to fuel oil. The energy density, ease of handling (a surprisingly large percentage of the crew on a coal powered warship were stokers and coal trimmers) were clearly seen as revolutionary, however security of supply was a big concern. Like Germany, the UK had mountains of coal but no indigenous petroleum reserves.

It was only with the government acquiring a controlling stake in the Anglo-Persian oil company Anglo-Persian Oil Company - Wikipedia in addition/instead of access to American (Standard Oil) and Dutch (Shell) oil, the coast was considered clear for a wholesale shift to an oil powered RN.

RN command of the seas was the lynchpin in ensuring that the oil from Anglo-Persian could be transported back to Britain also in a crisis, not only to fuel the RN itself but also to ensure the future prosperity of a Britain civil economy that was beginning to transition to oil powered vehicles.

In contrast it seems the Germans adopted petroleum energy without ensuring access to a supply beyond assuming a quick war would give them access to oil fields in the east. The synthetic fuels obviously helped, but although they were a technological tour de force, they were very expensive.
Actually, Britain had a very small amount of indigenous petroleum which they exploited, but it added only a small amount to their requirements. Sherwood Forest oil field

They also had shale oil in Scotland. See my previous posts on British avgas production which did not use indigenous British oil.
History site for shale oil mining in Scotland

This page has links to various companies involved and also links to oil production in other areas of the U.K.

If you haven't found it already, you might be interested in this study about the RN's move from coal to oil covering the period 1898 to 1939

Chapter 4 deals with history of APOC and its early relationship with the RN.

Thank you, this was a very interesting PhD thesis!

Also pertinent to the discussions in this thread is Chapter 11: Back to Coal, that describes various campaigns mostly in the 1930'ies to revert the RN back to coal. The motivation for these seem to be about having an indigenous supply, and also an argument about providing local jobs in the Welsh coal fields. It seems various experiments around improvements to coal combustion in ships had been done, similar to ones mentioned in this thread. Pulverized coal had been experimented with, both using onboard pulverizers as well as delivering pulverized coal to the ship. In the end these approaches were discarded as being inferior to fuel oil in terms of calorific value, bulk of pulverizing equipment, and fire risk.

One thing which seems somewhat successful is experiments with what they called colloidal fuel, essentially coal dust mixed with fuel oil in a colloidal suspension with about 30-40% coal. That is, pretty similar to the coal-water slurries discussed earlier in this thread, except using fuel oil instead of water. It seems this was somewhat workable, the main problem seems to be if the suspension was left to sit then eventually the coal dust would settle in the tanks and form a hard sludge. Cunard also experimented with colloidal fuel in one of their ocean liners, apparently successfully. But it seems it wasn't enough and eventually colloidal fuel faded away. Maybe due to the added logistical hassle in needing both a source of oil and coal, as well as the pulverizing equipment and mixing facilities to produce the fuel? https://www.nature.com/articles/130086b0.pdf

Finally, chapter 11 also discusses various efforts to produce fuel oil substitutes from indigenous sources like coal or oil shale. The conclusion seems to be that while these did in principle work, the volumes achievable and the cost meant they never became an alternative to oil at the strategic level. Now the situation in Germany was of course very different, in that Germany had no access to oversea oil in the event of a war, contrary to Britain.

I will just add this little piece of information.
In C.Douglas' 'The Secret Horse Power Race" pg 343, there is recorded a planned output of C3 fuel peaking at 80% of production in 1945. The USN 145 July 1945 report states that they estimate that 2/3rds of production was C3 by wars end (both figures are unrealistic). C3 needed much more processing than B4, resulting in a loss. To increase fuel, likelihood of fuel arriving to units, and overall logistics in accessing the correct fuels, there was a serious push in 'boosting' (sorry I cant think of a better term) B4 up to C3 quality. Many engine manufactures were producing their newest engines that were designed to run on the B4. Producing only B4 could have saved fuel by not requiring extra refining procedures.
BUT!
'Boosting' B4 up to C3 quality was nothing short of a disaster. The recipe was flawed and engines began to malfunction.

P.s. rather than 2/3rds of fuel being C3 by wars end, I have found that B4 and C3 were roughly equal, at least in April 1945. From reading into CHA T2422, NARA T321 and the ULTRA files in the HW-5 series, by late 1944 it still seems that B4 was the main front line fuel available to units (this is against the planned 65% as can be read in the planned production in 'The Secret Horse Power Race" pg 343).

TL : DR - To increase avgas production, try to stick to B4 as the main frontline fuel to reduce production related losses (this was actually a course of action that took place, but things went sour by the turn of 1944/45)

Last edited:
I will just add this little piece of information.
In C.Douglas' 'The Secret Horse Power Race" pg 343, there is recorded a planned output of C3 fuel peaking at 80% of production in 1945. The USN 145 July 1945 report states that they estimate that 2/3rds of production was C3 by wars end (both figures are unrealistic). C3 needed much more processing than B4, resulting in a loss. To increase fuel, likelihood of fuel arriving to units, and overall logistics in accessing the correct fuels, there was a serious push in 'boosting' (sorry I cant think of a better term) B4 up to C3 quality. Many engine manufactures were producing their newest engines that were designed to run on the B4. Producing only B4 could have saved fuel by not requiring extra refining procedures.
BUT!
'Boosting' B4 up to C3 quality was nothing short of a disaster. The recipe was flawed and engines began to malfunction.

P.s. rather than 2/3rds of fuel being C3 by wars end, I have found that B4 and C3 were roughly equal, at least in April 1945. From reading into CHA T2422, NARA T321 and the ULTRA files in the HW-5 series, by late 1944 it still seems that B4 was the main front line fuel available to units (this is against the planned 65% as can be read in the planned production in 'The Secret Horse Power Race" pg 343).

TL : DR - To increase avgas production, try to stick to B4 as the main frontline fuel to reduce production related losses (this was actually a course of action that took place, but things went sour by the turn of 1944/45)
There are three different measures you need for a complete picture, stocks, consumption and production - and sadly its virtually impossible ( I have spent considerable time and money trying), to get these three IF you want them to include a breakdown by fuel type. This is the case because the fuels were all made from raw ingredients at blending stations
which were not at the fuel refineries. So you cannot see what was made from the refinery outputs (the fuels B4 and C3 were blended monthly to order, and I have
only found a tiny few blending order requests, which of course does not tell you stocks or consumption either).

I have a bit more info if you look at stocks, although the results here are also partial, as they do not necessarily include every storage facility in Germany,
and also, in the case of the 1945 figures the total stocks are very tiny relative to 1943, so the relative levels of B4/C3 from a tiny total stock
size needs to be taken with caution. However the data plotted shows certain trends which are difficult to discount.

Please note again, this is STOCK, which does not necessarily mean consumption, and since that is not
known, it also cannot be used to infer production. However, the C3 fuel did not store well, so
we can guess that it must be a reasonable picture of production in the 3 or 4 months prior.

Later in the war, the German supply situation became such that the fuel did not really
rest in these tanks for much time, it was supplied more or less as it was blended. So
as the war progresses, this graph probably represents consumption & production to
an ever increasing extent.

1695023881158.png

I also have a "snapshot" of PRODUCTION in 1941 (do not compare directly to graph above which is STOCK),
which suggests that production % of C3 was about 20% at the end of 1941.

1695024524510.png

Last edited:
Good research Calum!
Below is the graph I was able to compile looking at only B4 and C3. A3, J2 etc fall outside of my interest, they are not recorded.

I will state that I am looking at STOCKS, to me production matters a bit less as you state on pg. 350 that the depots were doing ever more of the required blending. If true, stocks present at Luftgaus seem to be a solid indication of what was available because they were blending it.
Anyway, the graph samples B4 and C3 for days I could measure, the average for the month is exactly 50% B4, 50% C3. All fronts. I don't care about units as I'm looking for a ratio, so to tons vs tonnes vs cbm debate can be neatly avoided if each location measures their stocks in a consistent unit for a given day which is the case here. HW-5 goes a bit further in some of its reporting as it will usually given a CONSUMPTION and STOCK figure, but these are not always present in the files.

This is what I could offer to replace a 'guess' at the end of the war. It is not perfect, but it is based on more data than a guess.

Attachments

• 11.png
    11.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back