Good luck with that.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
At Amazon....glad that I've got it!

IMG_20200524_192337.jpg

I don't understand the business model with these books. Yes you have a commodity item. But is anyone actually spending that much on one of these books? I don't care how rich you are that's financially irresponsible. Seems like the seller is just guaranteeing they have to warehouse the thing for eternity. And that's paying rent for a deadbeat roommate.

Is there an algorithm kicking these numbers out or is it just sheer optimistic greed.

Is there an algorithm kicking these numbers out
or........
'

I can tell you for an absolute certain 100% degree that, "Yes, that IS the case, for real" - ("Algorithm")

I know, from strange & almost bitter-experience - I've had it happen THREE times, this year alone......

There was a book that I wanted (I won't say which, as I'm still a few Volumes missing) = I kept tabs on it ('overwatch')

After a real heavy-spend (elsewhere), I thought...... "I'll have that next-week, as a new fiscal-month is commencing (for me).

Bookmarked it - Went back following-week (circa 5-6 days later) - Price had jumped from £4.85 plus P&P, to £44.85 ?

"Strange methinks" - "I mean, jumping from £4.85 to £44.85 = An EXACT 10 x times jump in price" (also noted by another family member

Cursed my luck (not having picked it up), BUT, having spent VERY heavily elsewhere - I wanted it "in" a bundle-deal.

Checked back TWICE - No change - Later again, No change. - 4th attempt = 1 month later & "Bingo", it was back down to £4.85

Given these series of books usually fetch about £25.00-£30.00, I knew I was doing well, but, the 'Algorithm' had also struck before.

Same on an AIRFIX AMRSTRONG WHITWORTH WHITLEY (1/72 kit) - Usually sub-£40.00, I watched 'em tumble, SLOWWWWWLY

Knowing "the game" (Algorithm), I waited & I waited & I waited...... Finally puled the trigger at £18.95 and bought TWO

It's happened yet again, this time on a book called 'Battle For Berlin' (Bombers) - Same $h!te as I related, earlier.

Again, another 'secondhand-book', that REALLY had zero-business loitering within the £40.00+ bracket (was £6.95 new)

Played "the usual" waiting-game, then, snagged it for around a 'fiver' *£5.50 plus

I've noticed that "This Game" (Algorithm), = ONLY seems to happen with/within the "Big Players" who trade online.

Wise to it now, but, like I say, only the big-boys engage in that strange & curious tactic.

As for the 'Mushroom-Models' Stranraer book, I bought it 'new' for around £8.00 - (At the time, an Ebay seller, good-repute)

In fact, I bought ALL of my "Kagero" & "Mushroom Models" books from him, as he clearly had links w/publishers.

Bought a shedload ; Books on the 'Folgore', but the two 'best' were "Consolidated Mess"(B.24) & the RAF Coastal B.17 Fortress books.

The two latter, were, again absolutely MINT/CRISP/Brand-spanking-new & ALL my "Kagero" books WERE Hermetically-sealed, too.

Sadly, (like SO many others of his ilk), Mark has "chucked in the towel" with Ebay - (they NEVER looked after 'sellers' anyhow)

Golden-pickings whilst they lasted, along with another vendor (since chucked-in the towel), £40.00 BNIB Badger 100-LG Airbrushes.

The latter, ironically, was a "KEY" (Locksmith) establishment, whom, presumably, bought bankrupt stock (?), but a God-send, nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back