Guess that color, P-40B wheel cover. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

newst

Airman
Feb 18, 2010
I am working on an Airfix P-40 to build the Luke field advanced aerobatics trainer X-804 that was very well documented on film by Life magazine. While I have found several photos of the aircraft i black and white as well as color, none that I have found show the wheel covers.

I have found some color photos, also thanks to Life magazine, of early P-40s at the Curtiss plant. The wheel covers do not look like olive drab or neutral gray. To my mind, they look like a dark zinc chromate yellow. What do you think?

!.jpg

1f7b92362deaa7f9a6656cf28df6d85e.jpg

An add-on request. These are the photos of X-804 that I have on my hard drive. I am sure there are additional shots out there. I remember seeing them. If anybody out there has other shots that they are willing to share I would appreciate it. Thank you.
06442.jpg

09182.jpg

f4910e3de3d1add09cb02dafd753a765.jpg

P-40 Warhawk 39-184 4.jpg

x-804-d-1.JPG

x-804-d-2.JPG

xp40-13.jpg

x804-a.JPG

xp40-23.jpg

xx804.JPG

Anyone notice the LIFE shot with the rudder and the P-40 running, there is no one in the cockpit and no one standing close?

The photo doesn't show the tail of the fighter. There could be people back there.

It appears the photographer is closest. I don't see how anyone at the tail could control the engine in an emergency. Just me being a safety nut.

If you look at the photo just below it, it appears to be the same A/C having the prop adjusted, likely before the stand is removed and the engine started up. I suspect that a the time the Curtiss employees knew what they were doing.

Anyone notice the LIFE shot with the rudder and the P-40 running, there is no one in the cockpit and no one standing close?

Not exactly IMHO ... please have a look at the pic ...

yzc_6.jpg

yzc_6c.jpg

The pic you mentioned above ... the shadow of the guy can be noted as well. The guy in the cockpit isn't seen because of his height and bending forward in the cockpit. These two things with the angle the image was taken with together are the reason for that.

YZC wheel alloy_2a.jpg

I see. The engine runs so smoothly that the little person in the cockpit fell asleep against the panel. The union rep should be notified about the long hours. The fellow making the shadow appears to have his hands full with his job.

I would suspect the wheel covers are Zinc Chromate to be painted last.
Not a bad conclusion, but what color would they be painted for delivery? Neutral gray isn't required as the wheel cover faces into the wing when the gear is retracted. The same applies to any standard color. No doubt the units will have a field day once issued, but what color would they be when issued?

A fantastic question that will bother me all day. Since the cover will be inside the well, they may have simply put on a thicker coat of primer allowing for field maintenance as you suggest. There have been pics of P-40B/C (Tomahawk) being crated on the forum which may show the wheel cover color as shipped.

Not a bad conclusion, but what color would they be painted for delivery? Neutral gray isn't required as the wheel cover faces into the wing when the gear is retracted. The same applies to any standard color. No doubt the units will have a field day once issued, but what color would they be when issued?

They'd be painted Neutral Gray, as per the undersides for delivery. What the units did with them later...well, anything's up for grabs.

They'd be painted Neutral Gray, as per the undersides for delivery. What the units did with them later...well, anything's up for grabs.
Why? They face into the wing. What value would painting them neutral gray bring? It isn't as if they would be painted along with the wings. The wings in the photographs are already painted neutral gray while the wheel covers are zinc chromate yellow.

Why? They face into the wing. What value would painting them neutral gray bring?

It's not a smart idea to leave exposed aircraft components just coated in primer. You need to add a top coat of something. Since you're going to paint them with something, it makes sense to use one of the existing camouflage colours...which leaves your options as Neutral Gray or Olive Drab (unless you're going to the added expense of an entirely new colour...which doesn't make financial sense).

Here are some RAF Kittyhawks with the wheels painted Azure Blue:

1646178717243.png

And here's another RAF machine, in delivery colours, with wheels that clearly match the underside tone:

1646178901866.png

If the wheels on these aircraft matched the underside, why not Neutral Gray for USAAF machines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back