Gunther Lotzow's Bf109 Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

von hahn

Airman 1st Class
Aug 2, 2008
JNB
Hi all,

Just a quick question, does anyone know the following please?:

1) Is this Lutzow's Bf 109E-4 that he flew until 21 August 1940 when he was promoted to Kommodore of JG3?

2) Does anyone know its W.Nr.? (I seem to recall seeing it somewhere but have no idea now where!)

3) Are any photos of his rudder scoreboard known?

4) His propeller spinner tip looks white-am I correct in assuming that?

As always, Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-I.JG3-Gunther-Lutzow-Nordfrankreich-summer-1940-02.jpg
    Messerschmitt-Bf-109E4-Stab-I.JG3-Gunther-Lutzow-Nordfrankreich-summer-1940-02.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 405
1) Yes

2) 1433

3) I know of one of this aircraft showing 7 victories, taken around June 1940. It must include his 5 Spanish claims. It looks like the same number as in the photograph you attached. I think it is in Prien and Stemmer's JG 3 'Udet' book. I will see if I can find it.

There is also one of the tail of one of his Fs showing 101 victories, taken late '41, probably around the time he received the 'Schwertern' to his 'Ritterkreuz', not that this helps you :)

4) White, you are correct.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I was thinking idly on my way home, when Lutzow was promoted to Kommodore of JG3 and Hans von Hahn took his place as head of I. Gruppe, is it possible that von Hahn inherited W.Nr 1433?

As far as I know, their Kommandeur's chevrons were very similar and somewhat unique,and no known record exists of von Hahn's machine's W.Nr.... which is what made me wonder.

Hi everyone...just found an interesting claim in a book entitled "Battle of Britain: An Epic Conflict Revisited" on p162 by Christer Bergstrom that when Hans von Hahn took over command of 1./JG3 on 26 August 1940, the author claims von Hahn inherited Lutzow's BF109E-4...

Do you think there is any truth in this?
Having looked at photos of both aircraft there are similarities in overall camo and markings but nothing to confirm that von Hahn's machine is in fact that of Lutzow.

I have seen a photograph of Gunther Lutzow's aircraft w.nr 1433 in flight over France which appears to be a bf 109e-4 dated May 1940.( Tried to attach it).

It definitely has the e-4 canopy but how can it be an e-4 in May 1940? Even if it is an e-3, when did the 'squared off' new style canopies begin being fitted?

Thank you in advance!

I believe this aircraft, w.nr 1433, is a bf 109e-4? The photo from Asisbiz is captioned May 1940 and his kills on the rudder seem to verify this, as Lutzow had around 8 kills in May 1940. If so, how can it be dated May 1940

I believe this aircraft, w.nr 1433, is a bf 109e-4? The photo from Asisbiz is captioned May 1940 and his kills on the rudder seem to verify this, as Lutzow had around 8 kills in May 1940. If so, how can it be dated May 1940
Sorry, my previous post was submitted before I had finished typing!

I was askibg how it can be possible that there was a bf 109e-4 in May 1940? I always thought they first appeared in July 1940? If it is not an e-4 but an e-3 with an updated canopy, when were these canopies introduced?

Any other photos of Lutzow's bf 108e's woukd be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back