Harbor Freight Airbrush kit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Harbor Compressor looks like a good occasional use hobby model. As to the airbrush ????? I personally would not use it (airbrush).
My personal choice is/was Testor's Aztek double action airbrush. The wide range of easily replaceable nozzles along with several paint size paint carriers in gravity fed and suction feed with caps that fit right on the paint jars (both small and large) themselves thus cutting down on clean-up and paint waste.
DCP_1433.JPG
DCP_1435.JPG
TESNOZZLESSM.jpg

I recently bought a Stanley Tanked Compressor for 49.99 at Ace Hardware on sale.

Here is a link to the one I got via Lowes Shop Stanley 2-Gallon 115-PSI 120-Volt Horizontal Portable Electric Air Compressor at Lowes.com

It has a regulator and is fairly quiet. I do not like hobby air compressors for 2 reasons, without a storage tank the compressor runs continuously, this can cause "surging" even with a regulator. The second reason is the continuous back pressure eventually destroys the membranes used in the compressor. With a storage tank you avoid all of those issues.

I purchased an inline moisture/oil trap filter and used a step down coupler to create a quick disconnect for my Iwata airbrushes. Total cost was about $65.00 and I think it will last much longer than the 200 - 400 dollar hobby air compressors. (Not to mention I can re-inflate a flat tire just with the pressure in the tank!)

For what it is worth, I just bought one to try. It was 25 plus change and works fine right out of the box. Spray pattern is semi adjustable and pulled normally thinned paint well. I did go and buy a replacement Badger cup since the one it comes with does not draw the last bit of paint since unlike the badger the inlet is raised off the base of the cup. I put one wrap of electrical tape around the end of the spout to make the cup and or bottle hold better but I have had to do the same with Badger and Iwata guns that are not gravity feed.

Don't use plumbers tape, I have had that shred and suck up into the brush which became a real challenge to get out!

Don has a nice review here of his impressions complete with pictures and arrows! All in all I found it well worth the 25 bucks, and my Iwata airhose hooked right up to it with no adapter unlike a badger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back