Hawker Hurricane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rumania Carpathian Eagle…Hasegawa 1/48 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Romanian Airforce | iModeler

1625484026089.png

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Last edited:
"Cheerful co-operation of the native workers". Love that line.
That caught my eye too. It's very much of it's time. You can't imagine a comment like that in any sort of official communique, or anything else for that matter, today.

I grew up in West Africa in post-colonial times and, believe me, those 'native workers', cheerful or not, had very little say in what, when or how the space for the airfield was cleared. It may well have been on land that was traditionally owned and farmed by those same workers.

The date on that image, November 1941, is important. The date is certainly given using the US system (m/d/y).

It was this month that the first fighter-bomber missions were flown in North Africa, by No 80 Squadron, dropping the 40lb fragmentation bombs pictured. They flew support to operation CRUSADER, but what is not mentioned in the propaganda image is that their losses to flak were prohibitive and that they ceased their bombing and strafing attacks on 27th November. This type of loss was precisely how the RAF justified its doctrinal prejudice against such operations.

They had only come about after ACM Sir Arthur Tedder took over as A O C-in-C Middle East in June 1941. He reorganised the RAF's No. 204 Group in the forward area into a separate 'Air Headquarters, Western Desert' and grouped its fighter, light bomber and reconnaissance squadrons into stripped down wings with fewer personnel and increased mobility. In so doing he unwittingly created the RAF's first tactical air force, soon to be known as the Desert Air Force which, in July, came under the command of AV-M Conningham. It was Conningham who developed the communication systems for command and control, with some influence from the work done by A M Barratt and the RAF's Army Co-operation Command, that would eventually underpin the successful use of air power at the battlefront in 1944/45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back