Hawker Typhoon car door cockpit (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lee1974

Airman
Jun 1, 2020
Hello, does anyone know of any photographs of the cockpit inside or out for the car door Typhoon?. Especially any which show the canopy framing.

Thanks

This is the best external canopy shot I have...
Cockpit.png

What was the thinking behind the car door canopy. It looks awkward to use, draggy and hard to get out of in a hurry.

It doesn't strike me as any more awkward or draggy than a regular canopy, but getting out of one in an emergency certainly seems problematic, and is probably the primary reason they've disappeared from fighter/attack aircraft. They were probably used as it's likely easier to get the door to seal and latch properly than was the case for a sliding canopy.

Last edited:
looks like the difference in the doors could be because the door trim is missing on the one with the circle?

looks like the difference in the doors could be because the door trim is missing on the one with the circle?

I don't think they'd have two separate inner door panels as this would significantly increase weight without a purpose other than maybe aesthetics. It's mostly likely a revision to the door design. I can see significant difference in the doors aside from that one panel.

Looks like the one with the circle moulding could be the later one, the one with the x and handle near the top is fitted to an aircraft with the early rear canopy.

It's possible that the differences are more relevant to the production source and / or component supplier, i.e. Hawker or Gloster.
I think I've probably seen more pics with the "X" pressing than the circular variant, and the Hasegawa 1/48th scale kit, and the Airfix 1/24th scale kit, both have the "X" type inside panel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back