He 162 A-2 - Werk Nummer 120076

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As I work for a company that owns a 003 i'm pretty sure it alone is worth more than they intend to sell the entire plane for :shock:

Restorable to flight condition they say? Now THAT I would like to see!

""

Aero Vintage has acquired a potentially airworthy Heinkel 162 in a complex exchange with the Canada Aviation Museum (formally the National Aviation Museum). Bristol Fighter (G-AANM, D-7889) has been exchanged with the Canada Aviation Museum's duplicate Heinkel 162 (Wk. nr. 120076, Air Ministry 59, RAF serial VH-523). The Bristol arrived in Canada in early December, and the Heinkel was due imminently in the UK.

The exchange also included rare aero engines which will enable Aero Vintage to complete restoration work. In the package is an extremely scarce Siddeley Puma in excellent condition, now destined for their DH9 (E-8894, G-CDLI), which is to be made airworthy.

Said Guy: - "It was a major wrench to lose the Bristol, but to enable the DH9 to fly we badly needed a Puma. I also like serious engineering challenges, and this rather quirky aircraft has always held a fascination for me. It is in fantastic condition and totally complete; with modern technology the aircraft's weaknesses - poor brakes, low engine power and bad fuel economy can surely be resolved. In the meantime it will be placed in storage pending a decision on its future".

Eric ('Winkle') Brown, who extensively tested the type after a number were captured in Germany at the end of the war, found the aircraft a delight to fly and far better than austere contemporary reports suggested. Alleged structural problems are simply not true and the loss through structural failure of 120072 at Farnborough on the 9th of November 1945 was due to a badly executed flick roll manoeuvre, which the aircraft was not cleared for.""

As I work for a company that owns a 003 i'm pretty sure it alone is worth more than they intend to sell the entire plane for :shock:

Actually the 003 isnt worth much compared let say to a merlin engine.even if the merlin is in a not good state.
You can restore a merlin to flying order and use is on a warbird.

The 003 will be a static exhibit and as such not as desirable.

The 003 at my company is covered by an insurance > 500.000 € and we got offers in excess of that.

450,000 is really not that much money for a bird like this..
Its worth it. If the fuselarge is like 50 procent original parts then it would be worth that money already in parts..
I am a collector of German aircraft parts and if i had the money it would be mine already
Chris

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back