He 162 A-2 - Werk Nummer 120076

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by twoeagles, Sep 15, 2010.

1. twoeagles

twoeagles Member

Aeronautical engineer and Navy Dad
    It is curious that a museum has not snatched this bird up. Price for a virtually new He 162 is reasonable enough, complete with an unused BMW 003 engine...? See listing at Welcome to Platinum Fighter Sales

2. riacrato

riacrato Member

Project Manager in FADEC industrialization
    As I work for a company that owns a 003 i'm pretty sure it alone is worth more than they intend to sell the entire plane for :shock:

Restorable to flight condition they say? Now THAT I would like to see!

3. Snautzer01

Snautzer01 Well-Known Member

""

Aero Vintage has acquired a potentially airworthy Heinkel 162 in a complex exchange with the Canada Aviation Museum (formally the National Aviation Museum). Bristol Fighter (G-AANM, D-7889) has been exchanged with the Canada Aviation Museum’s duplicate Heinkel 162 (Wk. nr. 120076, Air Ministry 59, RAF serial VH-523). The Bristol arrived in Canada in early December, and the Heinkel was due imminently in the UK.

The exchange also included rare aero engines which will enable Aero Vintage to complete restoration work. In the package is an extremely scarce Siddeley Puma in excellent condition, now destined for their DH9 (E-8894, G-CDLI), which is to be made airworthy.

Said Guy: - “It was a major wrench to lose the Bristol, but to enable the DH9 to fly we badly needed a Puma. I also like serious engineering challenges, and this rather quirky aircraft has always held a fascination for me. It is in fantastic condition and totally complete; with modern technology the aircraft’s weaknesses - poor brakes, low engine power and bad fuel economy can surely be resolved. In the meantime it will be placed in storage pending a decision on its future”.

Eric (‘Winkle’) Brown, who extensively tested the type after a number were captured in Germany at the end of the war, found the aircraft a delight to fly and far better than austere contemporary reports suggested. Alleged structural problems are simply not true and the loss through structural failure of 120072 at Farnborough on the 9th of November 1945 was due to a badly executed flick roll manoeuvre, which the aircraft was not cleared for.""

4. Snautzer01

Snautzer01 Well-Known Member

Actually the 003 isnt worth much compared let say to a merlin engine.even if the merlin is in a not good state.
    You can restore a merlin to flying order and use is on a warbird.

The 003 will be a static exhibit and as such not as desirable.

5. riacrato

riacrato Member

Project Manager in FADEC industrialization
    The 003 at my company is covered by an insurance > 500.000 € and we got offers in excess of that.

6. DerAdlerIstGelandet

DerAdlerIstGelandet Der Crew Chief
    Staff Member Moderator

A&P - Aircraft Technician
    Damn wish I could splurge some money on this...;)

7. luftwaffemesserschmitt

#7 luftwaffemesserschmitt, Sep 23, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
    450,000 is really not that much money for a bird like this..
    Its worth it. If the fuselarge is like 50 procent original parts then it would be worth that money already in parts..
    I am a collector of German aircraft parts and if i had the money it would be mine already
    Chris

8. bobbysocks

bobbysocks Well-Known Member

see, you should have been throwing your spare change in a jar all those years.