Heinkel 162 undersurface panel lines

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JonCOlsen

Airman 1st Class
Mar 14, 2015
Hello everybody,

I'm currently working on a model of a Heinkel 162. I was wondering if anyone has any diagrams or photos of the undersurface fuselage. Particularly, I'm trying to figure out whether there was a long vertical line in the center. My model fuselage has a vertical seam on the bottom and I'm not sure whether there should be a line there or not. I can't tell from looking at internet photos or profiles.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Jon

Found 3 drawings from different sources, all pretty much the same.

jon.jpg

The fuselage was metal structure and metal skin. The rivet and panel lines were painted with a kind of paint-putty for making the surface more smooth. Therefore it isn't easy to notice the panel lines there. However the thin panel line on the sides can be noticed. Here the enlarged pics found via the net showing how the layout of the panel lines there looked like..

fuselage2.jpg

fuselage2a.jpg

fuselage2b.jpg

And here the fuelage during assembling. The metal panel sheets can be noticed.

fuselage3.jpg

Last edited:
fuselage4a.jpg

fuselage4.jpg

and here the diagram ..

fuselage5.jpg

Also two additional shots of the underground factory with fuselages ...

fuselage2b.jpg

fuselage2c.jpg

Last edited:
The panel and rivet lines on the 162 fuselage I'd imagine would vary between being visible as normal (prototype/pre-production) and almost non-existent (production). The wings would likely be devoid of lines except for removable panels.

I've seen the Ta152H in person and the workmanship is ... well, hurried looking (actually, kinda unskilled). I believe the seam smoothing was all about eliminating the production caused surface irregularities (excessive rivet gun hammering, quicker to repair than train). Other interesting issues I saw were rivet lines wandering off of panel edges and non-existent panel edge finishing. Oh, there was a "recycled" skin with fastener holes without adjoining structure that had filler fasteners in them. I've always wondered where that skin came from (might simply have been miss-drilled at the factory).

(I will not revisit in this thread --start another if you want-- , but, there is very good evidence this 152 had stammkennzeichen, and there is a reason I don't trust the one ID tag on the plane ... just sayin'. :smirk:)

Hi Jon:

Here's my "compilation" drawing (not a EHAG drawing), showing the skin thicknesses:

The top 2 views are EHAG, and the bottom one is from a Russian book.

HTH!

Regards,
James

Attachments

• 8-162.100 Fuse skins & frames.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 362

Users who are viewing this thread

Back