P-47 Instrument panel project

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hello
After building the 1:1 full scale instrument panels of a Me 109G-10 and Spitfire MkIX fitted with their original instruments I have picked up the idea of building that one of a P-47D. I've been searching for a while now and I find it hard to find a 1:1 technical drawing of a P-47 instrument panel that I can use for this project. I have used the technical 1:1 drawings with the Me 109 and Spitfire panels.
I'm hoping that through this way somebody is able to help me in finding such (a) drawing(s). I am willing to exchange info regarding the 109 and Spitfire panels.
These panels will be used in our exhibitions of the Aircraft Research Group Achterhoek in the Netherlands. A foundation that is researching the airwar over Holland.
Included is a photo of the 109 panel which is near completion now, just two instruments, switches and controll lights left to find.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Regards
Sander
World War 2 Aircraft Research Group Achterhoek

Attachments

• Me 109G panel with revi_3_small.jpg
    Me 109G panel with revi_3_small.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,181
Hello,

I was able to produce this panel after re-calculating several drawings since I didn't find the full scale drawing.
Just need to find a few more instruments and a gunsight.
This panel will be supporting the recovery results of P-47D 43-25515 UN-T of the 56th FG/63rd FS. If I'm correct this Jug was fitted with the Mk8 gunsight, or was it re-fitted with the gyro gunsight? I am currently looking for info on the Mk8 gunsight. It would be very appreciated if anyone can provide any info.

For any help many thanks in advance,

Kind regards from Holland,

Sander

Attachments

• Panel P47D eigen.jpg
    Panel P47D eigen.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,891
Maybe these will help, found these pictures on ebay.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 772
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 786
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 801
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 818
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 786
Hello Sander,

I know this is an old post, but I thought I would offer anyway. I have the drawings for the P-47D, through the D-23, from the Smithsonian. If you still need information regarding the instrument panel, let me know.

Bill

Hello :lol:
I would like to produce a copy of a P-47 's panel, if possible to a P-47 D - 16.
If you have a drawings, I would be very interested! :shock:
Thank you all
Regards from southern France
Philippe

Attachments

• instruments 001.jpg
    instruments 001.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 672
Hi Phillipe,
Very sorry for my late answer...didn't noticed your question earlier. I have a Auto CAD drawing for a P-47D-21 panel which would require for you to have a computer program to open it. The D-16 panel should be very similar.
You could use this Auto CAD drawing to cut out the panel at a metal shop who uses the Auto CAD technology. I calculated the dimensions from scratch so some holes have to be adjusted. I can't upload the Auto CAD file here so you have to give me a PM with your e-mail address if you are interested.

Kind regards from Holland,
Sander

Hi Vikingberserker,

Thanks for asking. Photo is showing the panel how it is right now. I'm planning to mount the IFF identification lights and engine primer at the right side of the panel. I'm still thinking and trying how to make the display frame to mount them.

Cheers,

Sander

Attachments

• P-47D_panel_small.jpg
    P-47D_panel_small.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 759
I had a couple photos saved from the web ages ago showing how one person mounted theirs :)
Files are attached below

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• a63594p1764734381orig.jpg
    a63594p1764734381orig.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 952
  • a63594p34625112orig.jpg
    a63594p34625112orig.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 572
Hi Chris,

Thanks for those photo's. Certainly gives me a couple of ideas! I had also some ideas of making an exact copy of the bulkhead on which the panel is mounted with some part of the cockpit fuselage to mount the engine primer with bracket, IFF switchbox and main switch and fuse box.

Greetings,
Sander

Users who are viewing this thread

Back