Help finding some information (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

orion549

Airman
Jan 16, 2008
I don't know if this is the right place to put this request, so if it's wrong, please chide and taunt me, then move it to the correct place ;)

Anyway, I've been trying to find what aircraft and squadrons where on the USS Bunker Hill during the sinking of the Yamato in April 1945. I know that VF-84 and their Corsairs were, that's where I got started on this. But I would like to know what other squadrons or aircraft were stationed there at the same time. I can find info about other carriers, such as the Hornet, that participated in the attack, but nothing on the Bunker Hill, other than she was there.

So if anyone can direct me to the place I might find this info, or even better, happens to have some, that would be great. This is the first time I've looked into this kind of depth for a roster of a ship, so I'm not sure where to go.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the welcome!

I've found that site, unfortunately, like most of the sites I've found, it still doesn't list what aircraft or squadrons were posted to the Bunker Hill at any time, let alone the sinking of the Yamato. Right now I'm searching through Wikipedia for various squadrons hoping to find some listed to the carrier, but there's a lot listed so it's slow going!

It's my understand that the Bunker Hill re-union has split up into several chapters. Why not contact one of the chapters ? If that would be a problem because of being "north of the border", I will help you...

Charles

That would be great, although I'm starting to have some luck with WikiPedia. I'v now found that VMF-451 and VMF-221 were both stationed with VF-84 in April 1945, though I'm still checking to see if there's any others. All three were Corsair squadrons it seems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought most carriers had a mix of aircraft on them, I know the fighters were generally the largest chunk, but would they not carry a few smaller squadrons or flights of Torpedo or Dive bombers as well? Or was this just earlier, and by 1945 the Corsairs would just be armed differently since they were capable of carrying those payloads?

Oh, I was in no way knocking the Essex! I was a bit exited though that there was a conversion set for this as I've gained an interest in the Bunker Hill, and there's lots of Essex kits, but no Bunker Hill kits (even tho, as they've done, it only really requires a change in the decals and markings of the ship and aircraft!) I was actually thinking of doing some squadrons of the Essex originally, but the black and yellow paint job of the Wolf Gang caught my eye. It's just different and interesting compared to the blues and grays of most other squadrons.

Although I may want to tap you for some info at a future time! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back