Help Identifying a propeller (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt77

Recruit
Dec 6, 2018
Hi folks.
A local (West of Scotland) fishing business has a propeller that was trawled and I was wondering if anyone might have an idea of what type of plane it came from. There has been speculation that it might of come from a Catalina, as there was an anti submarine base fairly close by. I've asked for some better images, and I'll update when I get them.

Thanks guys!
FB_IMG_1544090907817.jpg

Do you have the diameter of the propeller? if it is 12 feet, then it could be an early Catalina. From the hub, it is a Counterweight type propeller with two bolts between the blades. It was replaced late 30's by the Hydromatic type, which would have four bolts between the blades.

If the image is not reversed, then it is not a Catalina Propeller. It rotates in the wrong direction based on blade angles and blade shape; it is a counter clockwise rotation when viewed by the pilot/engine side/rear of the propeller. The Catalina as most other American Radial engines turn Clockwise when viewed by the pilot/engine side/rear of the propeller.

Thanks for the replies Michael! I'm still waiting for some more pictures and hopefully a mesument of the propeller. I'm no sure if the picture has been flipped.
:)

If the image hasn't been flipped, would it be a British propeller? Or German?

If the image hasn't been flipped, would it be a British propeller? Or German?
From what I see, and my back ground, it looks like a Hamilton Standard Counter Weight Propeller, or the British licensed copy. From the location you mentioned in Scotland, I doubt if it would be the Japanese copy of the propeller. From my experience most British engines turn in the opposite direction of the North American engines, except for the Merlin which rotates the same direction as most of the North American Engines. The Griffon does rotate the opposite to the Merlin, so that is how I tell if a Spitfire has a Merlin or Griffon. The Griffon powered Spitfires had five wooden bladed Rotol prop with a different hub type, so it is not a Spitfire prop.

Where are the counterweights? They should be visible viewed from that angle. Don't see them.
Cheers,
Wes
The propeller is still attached to the engine reduction gear box, so the counter weights are not visible from that angle. You can see the hole in the rear barrel half for greasing the internal blade bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back