Help identifying ww2 aircraft rear wheel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jan 12, 2017
Hello, I have joined your group so I can help identify this rear aircraft tyre, I have been asked to help a farmer identify the tyres, his father is thought to have removed them from long marston airfield in Warwickshire after the war with a view to being able to use them around the farm, they have since sat in a barn. On the outside of the tyre it says4.00-31/2 electrically conducting, in a circle Wj14, 3511 also in a long oblong B 1 / A, also marked internally in reveres, AERO 6860 M14148 ( this may not be correct as it's very hard to see internally)
I hope you don't mind me coming here to ask many thanks Richard

Attachments

• IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 162
Welcome to the forum Richard.
I can't help directly in identifying the tyre, but with those excellent photos, I think someone here can probably help.
Long Marston saw a number of types and units operating there during WW2, with types such as the Whitley and Wellington of OTUs, and Tomahawks and Hurricanes of DTF. After the war, before the airfield closed in 1954, Airspeed Oxfords also operated from the airfield.
From the look, and the tyre size, that appears to be a tyre for a tail wheel.

Thank you all so much, I can now get on and research the aircraft for the farmer and tell him a little of the history of his tyres, he told me he has quite a lot of them, again thank you all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back