Help needed to identify some parts of Boston III (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pienske

Airman
Jun 6, 2021
Hi,
I try to identify some parts of a Boston III that was crashed in 1942 in Wevelgem. All pictures are part from the book of Etienne Vanackere - "De laatste vlucht"
On the first 2 pictures it seems to be the same part but the first one looks less damaged than the second part. Since I found it on two different pictures, I assume that this part was at least 2 times mounted on the plane. The 3th picture is a big plate that I try to locate his place in the plane.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 21.45.16.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 21.45.16.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 21.44.46.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-09 at 21.44.46.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 14.37.28.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-20 at 14.37.28.png
    88.3 KB · Views: 68
my first thought on the first two photos was main gear retract system but I would not guarantee it as the photos are just too low quality
Hello,
I thought this as well... but if I had a closer look on the retract system... I could not find the big massif part.... :(
I will have a look if I can provide a better picture of the page of the book.

I scanned the picture in TIFF format - but had to convert it to JPEG. Hope it's a bit more useful.

Attachments

• Part_1Scan3.jpg
    Part_1Scan3.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Pienske

Unfortunately I still cannot recognize that item and that bugs me.

The large round tube is obviously not an oleo and the only other large tubes I can remember on the A-20 aircraft are on the control surfaces and that item is absolutely not part of any of those.

Large round tubes like that with pivoted arms sometimes meant turrets or gunners seats but that does not look like a turret/gunners seat part to me (I never saw an A-20 with the gunners seat installed) and there would only be a single turret/seat anyway.

I will see what else comes to mind and let you know but for now it is a mystery to me.

M

Thanks Pienske

Unfortunately I still cannot recognize that item and that bugs me.

The large round tube is obviously not an oleo and the only other large tubes I can remember on the A-20 aircraft are on the control surfaces and that item is absolutely not part of any of those.

Large round tubes like that with pivoted arms sometimes meant turrets or gunners seats but that does not look like a turret/gunners seat part to me (I never saw an A-20 with the gunners seat installed) and there would only be a single turret/seat anyway.

I will see what else comes to mind and let you know but for now it is a mystery to me.

M
Hi MiTasol,

Thanks a lot to join me on this adventure :)

For me it looks that the longest bars has a kind of Y (nr1) part on the left side of it. There looks to be a short "leg" and a longer "leg". At the end of the long "leg" it looks to have a part that is fixed to a part that is on one end attached (left side) not 100% clear... and at the other site to the part that has a curved form and looks to be movable by the part that is connected to the part attached on the long "leg" of the Y.
Also based on the second picture is looks that there are like a double lever at the end that is then connected to the left side of the curved part...
On the section with the "tube" that is attached to the left side of the long parallel bar it seems that at the end there is a rectangular plate with a hole in, on top of that plate it seems that (based on the first picture) there is a hood/cup mounted on top with also a hole in... so could this indicate a kind of selector/switch was mounted on the top of the hood/cup part...
Assuming that the lever parts are part of what we are looking.... so quite close to the curved part... it looks that in the first picture the lever is protected by something.
Having a closer look to the short leg of the Y part... seems that this part is attached to a part with a square hole in it and is attached to a part that is resounding the tube part...

Attachments

• Detail_With_comment.jpg
    Detail_With_comment.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Part1_Scan3.jpg
    Part1_Scan3.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 30
Hi MiTasol,

Thanks a lot to join me on this adventure :)

For me it looks that the longest bars has a kind of Y (nr1) part on the left side of it. There looks to be a short "leg" and a longer "leg". At the end of the long "leg" it looks to have a part that is fixed to a part that is on one end attached (left side) not 100% clear... and at the other site to the part that has a curved form and looks to be movable by the part that is connected to the part attached on the long "leg" of the Y.
Also based on the second picture is looks that there are like a double lever at the end that is then connected to the left side of the curved part...
On the section with the "tube" that is attached to the left side of the long parallel bar it seems that at the end there is a rectangular plate with a hole in, on top of that plate it seems that (based on the first picture) there is a hood/cup mounted on top with also a hole in... so could this indicate a kind of selector/switch was mounted on the top of the hood/cup part...
Assuming that the lever parts are part of what we are looking.... so quite close to the curved part... it looks that in the first picture the lever is protected by something.
Having a closer look to the short leg of the Y part... seems that this part is attached to a part with a square hole in it and is attached to a part that is resounding the tube part...
Hello all,

Thanks to the Flanders Aviation Society (FAS) I was able to get the original pictures. So I was able to scan then in a resolution of 1200dpi.
So I do a second request to see if somebody can help me to identify the parts of the Boston III Z2157.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Kind regards

Attachments

• Boston_Part_1.png
    Boston_Part_1.png
    691.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Boston_Part_2.png
    Boston_Part_2.png
    533.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Boston_Part_3.png
    Boston_Part_3.png
    757.1 KB · Views: 25