Help: When were unit ID marking to 483 BG B-17 (Foggia Italy)?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Juanita

Airman
82
62
Apr 7, 2014
The B-17 squadrons of the 483 BG had red rudders. A black 'Y' on the fin and star below it.
The elevators were also red with a white star. The horizontal tailplane had the 'Y' in black.
No special wing markings.

My question is: when were these markings applied?
Does anyone know if/when the official orders were made for the unit identity marking to be applied?
Were the red rudder/elevators applied at a different time to the 'Y'-star? (eg red rudder/elevators circa June/July 1944, and at a later stage the 'Y' and star came into use (by Oct 1944))

The circumstantial information I have put together so far:
According to an article on a bombing mission of 18 July 1944 (a bad day for the 483 BG) says that German records specifically mention the red rudder on one of the downed aircraft.

There is a photo of B-17G 42-107172 on the internet that appears to show the rudder and elevators have been painted (red?) because the section of serial number on the rudder is white (?).
(The rudder/elevators look very pale for red but I expect a red filter has been used)
However, the 'Y'-star details have not been applied.
This aircraft was assigned on 19 April 1944 and lost on 18 July 1944.
Link to photo: 42-107172 Photo | B-17 Bomber Flying Fortress – The Queen Of The Skies

The earliest photo I have found so far that shows the 'Y'-star is 42-97919 after a take-off accident 17 Oct 1944.

Juanita
 
I thought I might find more markings origin info when researching Forgotten Fifteenth but no go. For a generic starting point I'd say look around Nov 43 when General Jimmy stood up the command with groups transferred from 9th & 12th AF before direct arrivals from ConUS.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back