Help With ID - Aircraft Canopy? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

3pinplug

Airman
Sep 30, 2018
Hi all
Found this on a recent trip to germany and my thought is aircraft canopy due to the rivets and the angled end, but probably wishful thinking as always!
I have put some measurements on to gauge the size. It had a little cylindrical magnet stuck on it so not sure if that is part of it or has just attached itself, but they look in the same condiciton so assuming they are related.
Hope someone can help with an ID as the knowledge on here is rather good!
Sorry on photo angle not sure how to correct that .
Thanks
Mark
plane1.jpg
plane2.jpg
plane3.jpg

It looks like part of several canopies so the first thing you need to determine is - is it magnetic. If the answer is yes then it is not aircraft as no non-essential steel components (nuts and bolts, etc) are used near compasses and steel is generally only used as a last resort in aircraft construction.

If it is non magnetic clean it up and look for a part number and/or inspection stamp.

It looks like part of several canopies so the first thing you need to determine is - is it magnetic. If the answer is yes then it is not aircraft as no non-essential steel components (nuts and bolts, etc) are used near compasses and steel is generally only used as a last resort in aircraft construction.

If it is non magnetic clean it up and look for a part number and/or inspection stamp.

Many thanks i willclean it and have a look for a stamp, the previous chap said about the rivets being countersunk but when you look at pics of german planes they have the same almost domed rivets and what looked like hinged not sliding canopies.

And domed rivets are also used on many US and Brit aircraft as well. I would be very very very surprised if any nation had only C/S rivets on external items in WW2.

Cleaned as best as i could but couldnt see anything, if stamped would it be letters / numbers or a mark and on outside or inside to narrow area doen a bit. It is magnetic as it had a little magnet stuck to it when i found it, so someone looks to have been testing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back