Help with USAAF Instrument Flying Cards

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Locobuster

Recruit
Jan 4, 2005
West "By Gawd" Virginia
In researching for a project I have come across conflicting information concerning the USAAF's instrument ratings. Some cite the rating card awarded upon completing the required training/testing as having been green, while another source states it was white. Does anyone have a clue where I can find a definitive answer?

I've been wondering this myself recently. I think that the white card was for a more advanced rating. I research post-war B-17 history and have found various references to different colored instrument cards on both accident reports and unit histories.

I'll keep looking for the definitive answer and if/when I find it will respond further.

Dave

Davie:

According to "The Evolution of Instrument Flying In The U.S. Army" by Maj. David M. McIntosh:

"Every pilot had to be certified instrument qualified once per year. The certification process was more complex than the simple check rides required previously. It included
a twelve-hour flying training course; a written examination; and a check flight covering basic maneuvers, navigation procedures, and instrument approaches. There were two types, or levels, of instrument certification: Form 8 (White) for less experienced flyers and Form 8 (Green) for the more experienced. "Green card" pilots had fewer restrictions and could fly in worse weather than "white card" pilots. In order to qualify for a green card, pilots had to have a minimum of one hundred hours of actual (not hooded) instrument time. Green card holders also had to take a more demanding check ride than white card holders. The two-tier certification was probably necessary because of the wide diversity of instrument experience among AAF pilots."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back