Help - Wooden propeller to recognize

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

rockall87

Recruit
May 25, 2019
Hello guys,

hopefully this is the right topic - no doubts I'm talking with the right people :)
I'm old enough by now, to wonder about WWII episodes and memorabilia from my italian grandfather who was part of the italian AirForce, as carpenter, and unfortunately passed away in 1996, when I was too much young to ask him anything about the war.

So there's something which I actually would like to know, namely what is the aircraft from which the half timber propeller that he brought back from those years belong to. Please see the picture below - sorry for the blurry image, it was sent me over from my aunt. Do you guys know which aircraft might be? - fyi, my grandpa also stayed in North Africa.

Thank you very much in advance. Hope you can help me! :)

IMG-20190522-WA0008.jpg

Last edited:
Hello guys,

hopefully this is the right topic - no doubts I'm talking with the right people :)
I'm old enough by now, to wonder about WWII episodes and memorabilia from my italian grandfather who was part of the italian AirForce, as carpenter, and unfortunately passed away in 1996, when I was too much young to ask him anything about the war.

So there's something which I actually would like to know, namely what is the aircraft from which the half timber propeller that he brought back from those years belong to. Please see the picture below - sorry for the blurry image, it was sent me over from my aunt. Do you guys know which aircraft might be? - fyi, my grandpa also stayed in North Africa.

View attachment 539382
It looks like the end of a Sensnich wooden propeller of the type used on Stearman trainers.

It looks like the end of a Sensnich wooden propeller of the type used on Stearman trainers.

Thank you. Well, it looks to me that Stearman trainers propellers are very similar but the brass leading edge is straight, while mine is scalloped. Moreover - altough I'm not an expert - I suppose US trainers weren't flying over Italy and North Africa during WWII, but mostly at home.

Hello guys,

View attachment 539382
I looks like it might be a Avia FL.3 prop. They were a primary trainer for the Regia Aeronautica with 300+ produced... I think a few are still flying in Italy and eastern europe.

I looks like it might be a Avia FL.3 prop. They were a primary trainer for the Regia Aeronautica with 300+ produced... I think a few are still flying in Italy and eastern europe.

Thank you. Well, it might be. I should find a good picture from that time showing the propeller details, but it's a good point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back