Here's a test for you all... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The answers:
1720775884219.png

I got # 20 wrong.
Nope. :)
The Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien (飛燕, "flying swallow") is a Japanese World War II fighter aircraft. Used by the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service, it was designated the "Army Type 3 Fighter" (三式戦闘機).[2] Allied intelligence initially believed Ki-61s were Messerschmitt Bf 109s and later an Italian Macchi C.202, which led to the Allied reporting name of "Tony", assigned by the United States War Department.[3]
(c) Wikipedia

Turbocharged Nieuport-Delage ND-29C.1 (s/n 12002) first flew on 14 April 1919.

There were several later variants of the ND-29 that were turbocharged.

In February the following year, the turbocharged La Pere LUSAC-11 broke the world altitude record and held it for two years.

I got 16 right without any research, but then I'm an old fart, with an Army Air Corps career dad, born into the lore in WWII and living with him through three real wars and a lot of 'incidents.' My Naval Air service didn't help, in fact detracted as when I separated, I was only paid for 60 days unused leave.
My Uncle, a '42 USNA engineering line grad who spent his 38 year career in logistics referred to those seaplane maintenance tenders as "Dumbo Docks" ... generally designated AVP or AVD.
The Catalinas were only briefly designated OA-10, serving most of their service as PBYs.
Note that McCready and Arnold each set distance records, and McCready set an endurance record and a 1921 altitude record using a turbocharged LePere biplane.
McCready received aviation's Mackay trophy three times, Arnold twice and Doolittle once for their record flights. Doolittle won the Schneider Trophy race in a Curtiss R3C-2, the Bendix in a Laird, and the Thompson in a GeeBee.
Arnold and Doolittle were both promoted on merit from LtCol to Brigadier, skipping full Colonel.
Bissell did some logistics for the Douglas World Cruiser Army flight, but after WWI, was largely a desk officer, known for some awkward political actions.

Users who are viewing this thread

• pcha
Back