Hi Fi and Acoustics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Parmigiano

Senior Airman
Aug 2, 2005
Campospinoso (PV), Italy
Ok, there are so many off-topics that maybe is worth to see if somebody is interested in this one....

I am since 30 years interested in music reproduction (in addition than to music itself), and I love design and build my own stuff, especially loudspeakers.

Anyway, aerodynamics is aerodynamics, either applied to a wing, a car hood or to internal design of a bass-reflex enclosure...

here some sample pics of my system, focused on the last peaker monstruosity:4 ways - coupled cavity reflex with lower chamber tuned with 2 drone cones and upper chamber with reflex duct - mid-bass tuned in open-end labyrinth and so on...

Attachments

• MVC-023F.JPG
    MVC-023F.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 325
  • MVC024F.JPG
    MVC024F.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 307
  • MVC-014F.JPG
    MVC-014F.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 322
  • MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 369
  • MVC-006F.JPG
    MVC-006F.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 346
Cool! What kinda wood did you use for he woofer cabinet? Do you get a lot of resonance from your construction? You might want to purchase spikes to put under the cabinets to better direct floor/room coupling. What kind of drivers did you use?

I too am an armchair stereophile. Here is the basis for my system. I also have a single CD player, a 200CD carousel, a separate A/V receiver (I'm not a A/V nut), surround sound and 56"HDTV.

Rotel RB-1080 200wpc Amp
Rotel RC-1090 Preamp
B&W 703 Loudspeakers

Attachments

• product_126580.jpg
    product_126580.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 312
  • rb-1080.jpg
    rb-1080.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 703_main.jpg
    703_main.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 291
Clave said:
I have a Rotel receiver also, it's pretty damn good 8)

Sure like my Rotel equipment. But it was a chunk of change. I've got my eyes on some AKG 701 headphones. But I hear that you really need a headphone amp to make best use of them. $1000 for headphone setup is a little hard to justify. I could buy another gun for that amount of money.:lol:

Matt,

material for the box is MDF 19mm. Since the box had very wide side panels, the best way I've found to reduce resonances without increasing weight to an unacceptable level was to made the side panels with pieces of about 3" glued and bolted together. You can see the resulting lateral 'stairs' in one of the pics.
This takes a long time to build, but has also some other small advantage: by making an 'irregular' assembly (i.e. slightly changing the overlap area and the dimensions of the panels) each sub-component has a different resonance frequency, and the internal volume is irregular too, contributing to reduce the internal resonance.

Spikes: too big and heavy for pin-point spikes, best way I've found to concentrate the weight on a small area was to use half-balls of hardened teflon

Good choice the AKG :), but in that price level you should find some good deal with Grado and Stax in the lucky US!

Rest of my gear:
My ampli is a Rotel too (RHB 10), also the phono preamp (RHQ 10)
The line preamp is self made (a very simple design with 2 x PT49 tubes and tube PS with the classic 5W4GT and inductive filter)
CD player is Marantz CD 10, turntable Michell Gyrodek with Mayware V arm and Denon 304 pick up)

The white box on the floor is a power stabilizer for a medical instrument that I've bought from my former employer

this is what I got,:Denon 2106,Tandberg 3036A,MarantzTT221,Marantz57mkII,Denon1720,denon drm595,Dali ikon6.dali ikon vokal2,Vifa 802.SVSpb-10,Dynabel Phobos.

Matt308 said:
Sure like my Rotel equipment. But it was a chunk of change. I've got my eyes on some AKG 701 headphones. But I hear that you really need a headphone amp to make best use of them. $1000 for headphone setup is a little hard to justify. I could buy another gun for that amount of money.:lol:

Mine was free... 'written off stock' is good sometimes - but you didn't hear that from me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back