hunting for mossie's

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wheelup

Recruit
Jan 11, 2009
I am not after gunning them down, more trying to find out more about them really

It's a MK VI No. LR 347 , I have a single picture of it, but its radio code letters can not be seen.:cry:

Colours (guessed at) Grey/Green top, Grey underside, It had D-day marking added to it during its life, acording to another site it made it to 1950 before being scrapped for parts.

I dont even know what Sqn or Sqn's it saw service with.

The other two I am hunting for belong to 627 Sqn
Again MK VI's with Brown/Green tops and Black bottomed colours

No. DZ 525, radio code letters AZ-S
No. DZ 641, radio code letters AZ-C

I know this may be a tall order, but I am sure someone out there may know somthing about them.

many thanks

Contact the RAF Museum Hendon. Ask them for copies of the Aircraft Movement Cards - Form 78 for the aircraft you are interested in. Give them the serial numbers not the squadron codes. After 2 toi 3 weeks they should send you photocopies oif them.They don't usually charge.

The form 78 will list all the units the aircraft was assigned to from it being taken on charge until it was struck off charge. There will be further information such as repairs and accidents.

To find out about their operational history the place to start is with the squadrons' ORB - Operations Record Book. You can get copies of those from The National Records Office but it will cost - probably £55 - £60 for each one and wait about 3 months before they send it. You should also ask for a copy of the appendices which hold more information but are held as separate documents.

Contact the Department of Research Information Services

Thankyou very much!!

I have never 'traced' an A/C's history before. I mainly rely on published books.

Which is ok, but only covers the details the author puts in :confused:

This is really going to help!! I will post what I find out as and when I get the info back!!!

(leaves to write his letters now :lol: )

I am not after gunning them down, more trying to find out more about them really

It's a MK VI No. LR 347 , I have a single picture of it, but its radio code letters can not be seen.:cry:

Colours (guessed at) Grey/Green top, Grey underside, It had D-day marking added to it during its life, acording to another site it made it to 1950 before being scrapped for parts.

I dont even know what Sqn or Sqn's it saw service with.

The other two I am hunting for belong to 627 Sqn
Again MK VI's with Brown/Green tops and Black bottomed colours

No. DZ 525, radio code letters AZ-S
No. DZ 641, radio code letters AZ-C

I know this may be a tall order, but I am sure someone out there may know somthing about them.

many thanks

LR347 was, as stated, a Mk. VI. Delivered to 248 squadron before being passed on to No. 8 OTU. Struck of charge in August 1946. It was coded "T" while with 248. It's last mentioned in 248 squadron ORB on 27. July 1944.

DZ525: Delivered to 109 squadron. Then to RAE before going to 692 squdron. Last operator was 627 squadron. Struck of charge 21. September 1945.

DZ641: AZ-C. Six aircraft from the squadron dropped Target Markers and flares for 52 Lancasters from Nos. 83, 97 and 617 Squadrons at late evening on 13th December 1944. The targets for this strike were the cruisers Emden and Köln at anchor in outer Oslo fiord. Low clouds made accurate bombing difficult and none of the ships were hit. F/O Arthur F. Wimsett and Sgt. T. E. Murhy
On 31st December 1944 RAF launched another attack on the Gestapo headquarter in Oslo. 12 Mosquitoes from No. 627 Squadron were given the task to destroy this small and difficult target situated in the centre of Oslo. The 12 Mosquitoes departed Peterhead with "Red Force" leading and sat course for Norway in the late afternoon. The attack was not a success and several Norwegian civillians lost their life. This machine attacked the capital of my home country at least twice.

Regards,
Bengt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back