Hurricane MkIIb used in North Africa? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plheure2

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
Greetings, gents:

Would anyone have any information as to whether the Hurricane Mk IIb, the bombed-up twelve-gun aircraft version, was used by the RAF and/or Commonwealth nations in the North African campaign in WW II? All I can come up with is that it was used in 1941 to harrass Luftwaffe installations on the northern European continent. Much thanks in advance.

Pete

Yes, it was. As far as I know without checking, it was used as the first 'Hurribomber' in the Desert Air Force, before the advent of the MkIIc.
Certainly 33 Sqn RAF, as an example, used the MkIIb in early 1942 (Feb to June if I remember correctly).

Hi

At least one Hurricane IIB bomber (factory built) was on strength with
274 squadron date - 6/42
134 squadron date - 4/43
335 (Greek) squadron date - 7/43
87 squadron date - 1/43

80 squadron was listed as a IIB bomber squadron on 11/41 and took part in operation Crusader.

After Crusader, it was determined that the Hurricane Mk IIB was no match for the Bf-109F and work was started on converting any IIB's in maintenance to bombers.

Source: The Hawker Hurricane by Francis Mason

Eagledad

Old thread, I know.
Hurricane MKIIBs appear on the roster for 185, 249, 126 Squadrons and 1435 Flight all from Malta, 1941 (Malta the Hurricane Years by Christopher Shores, Brian Cull and Nicola Malizia, Grub Street/Squadron 1987 pgs 365 and 366).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back