If recips were made nowadays

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Piston-powered aircraft from the 1950s were as fuel-efficient as the current average jet

Proves my point. A380 is huge and has to be loaded to the max to compete with a connie.

As fuel efficient, yes, but less productive. That Connie could, with luck, make one flight, every other day, NYC to London: ten hours to London, twelve hours to turn around (essentially one one-way trip per day), ten hours back to NYC,etc. The modern jets take six hours to cross, about two hours to turn around, and six hours to return, so the can do one and a half roud trips per day. In other words, one jet can do three round trips in the time it took for the Connie to do one

As fuel efficient, yes, but less productive. That Connie could, with luck, make one flight, every other day, NYC to London: ten hours to London, twelve hours to turn around (essentially one one-way trip per day), ten hours back to NYC,etc. The modern jets take six hours to cross, about two hours to turn around, and six hours to return, so the can do one and a half roud trips per day. In other words, one jet can do three round trips in the time it took for the Connie to do one

Oh quit making sense now ya hear!

As fuel efficient, yes, but less productive.

In other words, one jet can do three round trips in the time it took for the Connie to do one
Sure, but those two big fans just don't have the romance and the sweet sound of four hairy chested turbo compound 3350s, and the stews aren't as pretty either, especially the guys. (And a normal size human could actually fit in the seats back then.)

Yeah he is the one who thinks that that jet mechanics do not need skills, and that piston powered aircraft are better and more efficient than jet powered aircraft. It carried on, and on, and on...
The previous post that I can see is from September 2018? Or did he delete his post?

I've had direct flights from Sydney to Dallas and LAX, around 12 to 14 hours of flight time. Arrived before I left.

Earlier this year I flew to Paris via Singapore. About 8 hours to Singapore, a further 14 hours to Paris.

How long would that have taken in a Connie, and how many stops?

Thank you. I know I was missed :). Its just nice to have an interesting discussion on here once in awhile isn't it? I had just found that link and thought I'd post it. The way some are talking the day may come when an old connie would be a dream, you know when all fossil fuel burning stops.

Sure, but those two big fans just don't have the romance and the sweet sound of four hairy chested turbo compound 3350s, and the stews aren't as pretty either, especially the guys. (And a normal size human could actually fit in the seats back then.)

Turbofans define the sound of power. The seats got smaller and more cramped because of deregulation.

Turbofans define the sound of power.
Yes they do....at an acoustical frequency that irritates the human psyche, elevates the pulse rate, clenches the jaws and amplifies stress levels. Meanwhile, the low frequency rumble of a quartet of precisely synched 3350s rocks you gently to sleep in your spacious, softly cushioned, fully reclining seat, resting on a pillow delivered by a pretty young STEWARDESS, a pleasure the younger crowd will never get to experience.
The seats got smaller and more cramped because of deregulation.
So what's new? Preaching to the choir here, aren't we? "Don't it always seem to go, ya don't know what you got til it's gone? They paved paradise and put up a parking lot!" (Apologies to Joni Mitchell)
Don't forget that people got fatter too.
And taller and longer limbed. (And we used to think Wilt "the stilt" Chamberlain was a big guy! Look at the NBA now.)
Cheers,
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back