Infomation wanted on 18 Sqn Boston III HK971

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sydhuey

Airman
Nov 15, 2010
Brisbane QLD Australia
G'day All,
trying to find colours and markings for this Boston , it was flown by one of the guy's I work with's Uncle they crashed and crew all died while on a night shipping reccon/Interdiction sortie in Italy 02 Aug 1944, have writen to 18 Sqn association several times with no responce, we want to do an art profile of this aircraft and I will do a model of it , the pilots brother is still alive and was also an ex RAAF pilot in the Pacific (turns 90 at easter), HK 971 was a late delivery Boston III to the RAF taken on charge in Aug/Sep 43 taken from Russian allocated Bostons (HK serials were all this batch approx 60 a/c), I am asuming it would be in Dark Green and Dark Earth over Sky Grey , and pics of 18Sqn Boston IV's i've seen have had there code letter on the fin in Yellow, can't find any pics of 18 Sqn Boston III's several I have found marked as 18 Sqn turned out to be 107,88 and 24 SAAF , all help greatly appreciated Syd!

Boston III of the 18th Squadron February 1943-October 1944.

18Sqn10.jpg

Thanks mate have seen that one but am after a picture to relate to the drawing, have seen a couple of Boston IV pictures I could referance to drawings but nothing on the Boston III's

I have gone through a few books about the Boston/Havoc and nothing was found, I'm afriad. It is possible there isn't any picture of the Squadron A-20 bombers taken.

I am sure 18 sqn association would have some in there history books , photo's on there web site show large books with sqn history and pictures in them but they don't answer any contact e mails despite having a contact point on there web site and other people who have tried to contact the association about crashed 18 sqn a/c in italy also got no replies, but they are an operational sqn and are probably concentrating on ops in Afganistan and don't have the personel to look after the association web site anymore. I will keep looking. thanks

Not sure if this helps with the colours, but my dad served as a gunner on 18Sqn in Italy 1944/5. Here is a photo of him and another WOp/AG in Italy. I will need to speak to him to find out what Mark it is.

Attachments

• 976080_583814051651973_765199644_o.jpg
    976080_583814051651973_765199644_o.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 203
Well after 5 years of searching I have tracked it down !
HK 971 was a Boston IIIA (A-20C-10-DO) originally 42-33227, it was taken on strength with the RAF in mid/late 1943 , this was one of the Boston's diverted from Boston's earmarked for Russia but negotiations between the US, RAF and Russia organised the release of 57 x A-20C's from aircraft passing thru Iran to Russia between Jan 43 till Sept 43 in exchange for a like number of Spitfires , these Boston's were used as attrition aircraft for the Med based Boston Sqn's , these aircraft were originally recordered on RAF documents with their US serial but in early to mid 44 were assigned HK series serials , I noticed on 18 and 114 Sqn records by May 44 all reference to US serialized Boston's had ceased and HK serials appeared, I noticed in Sqn records that recorded codes as well as serials that US serialized aircraft with a set code disappeared and a Boston with a HK serial appeared with the same code letter a day or two latter, I am now cross-referencing US serialized Boston's to match up to HK serials.
So 42-33227 came on RAF strength in late 1943 , it went on 18 Sqn strength in late 1943 and was assigned the code letter M-Mother, in mid May 1944 it became HK971 and was lost on night ops on 02 Aug 1944, like all of the Boston III/IIIA's with 18 Sqn at that time it was in a night Interdictor scheme of upper surfaces Dark Green/Dark Earth with sides and lower surfaces in Night scheme (Matt Black) the same scheme as RAF Night heavy Bombers, as 18 Sqn went over to the Night interdictor role from day bombing after the Invasion of Italy.

Scheme similar to Boston IIIA BZ337 Q-Queenie

Attachments

• BZ337 b.JPG
    BZ337 b.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
G'day All,
trying to find colours and markings for this Boston , it was flown by one of the guy's I work with's Uncle they crashed and crew all died while on a night shipping reccon/Interdiction sortie in Italy 02 Aug 1944, have writen to 18 Sqn association several times with no responce, we want to do an art profile of this aircraft and I will do a model of it , the pilots brother is still alive and was also an ex RAAF pilot in the Pacific (turns 90 at easter), HK 971 was a late delivery Boston III to the RAF taken on charge in Aug/Sep 43 taken from Russian allocated Bostons (HK serials were all this batch approx 60 a/c), I am asuming it would be in Dark Green and Dark Earth over Sky Grey , and pics of 18Sqn Boston IV's i've seen have had there code letter on the fin in Yellow, can't find any pics of 18 Sqn Boston III's several I have found marked as 18 Sqn turned out to be 107,88 and 24 SAAF , all help greatly appreciated Syd!

Hi, this is the history about the Boston III crashed in Italy. Researche by aereiperduti.net
1-2 agosto 1944 - Boston III HK 971 - Polesella
by Elena Zauli delle Pietre
Il rapporto della GNR1 del Veneto riporta la notizia di un bombardiere notturno inglese precipitato nel comune di Polesella durante un'azione di mitragliamento nell'agosto 1944.

Tale notizia trova riscontro anche in un documento conservato all'interno del medesimo Comune nel quale esiste una cronaca degli eventi bellici connessi al territorio polesano.

«2/8/44 - Un caccia notturno ha mitragliato postazioni lungo la strada nazionale. Individuato dai fari della contraerea e mitragliato, è caduto nella Frazione Raccano incendiando un cascinale. I tre aviatori sono periti. Nessuna vittima civile. Un militare tedesco della contraerea è morto».

Una seconda relazione della GNR, più dettagliata della precedente, così descrive l'accaduto nel telegramma inviato alla Prefettura il 2 agosto:

"Alle 3.30 decorsa notte difesa antiaerea Polesella (Rovigo) abbatteva apparecchio trimotore inglese, che si incendiava al suolo. Nella caduta avvenuta in località "Forcarole" comune Polesella, velivolo investiva parte abitazione agricoltore affittuario Mori Argante di Antonio anni 42, facendola crollare con fienile e sottostante stalla. Nessun danno persone. Son rimasti uccisi un asine, un bue e una pecora. Altri tre bovini sono rimasti feriti. L'equipaggio dell'apparecchio il cui non numero non è stato possibile stabilire, rimansi tutto deceduto. Finora son stati rinvenuti due cadaveri deformi carbonizzati.

Il S.Tenente comandante int. Mangiavacchi Sestili".

Il riscontro dell'avvenuto abbattimento si trova nel diario operativo del 18° Sqn. RAF che riporta nei dettagli la missione e registra la perdita. I bombardieri notturni, meglio conosciuti dalla popolazione col soprannome di Pippo, partirono da Cecina la notte tra l'1 e il 2 agosto per due missioni che prevedevano il sorvolo della costa adriatica, passando da Porto Corsini (Ravenna), Porto Garibaldi e il delta del Po, alla ricerca di punti sensibili da colpire quali spostamenti di truppe, mezzi militari, ponti, treni, barche. Durante l'azione di perlustrazione notturna furono avvistate numerose chiatte tra Cavanella Po e Contarina nell'ingresso del Collettore Padano e il fiume Po, tra Taglio di Po e Contarina ed infine a Porto Garibaldi: le chiatte furono oggetto di un'azione combinata di bombardamento e mitragliamento anche grazie all'ottima visibilità di quella notte. Durante le azioni di mitragliamento a bassa quota, i Pippo furono bersagliati dalla contraerea schierata in prossimità di Polesella. Due bombardieri vennero colpiti, uno di essi non rientrò alla Base.

L'aereo andò a schiantarsi contro un fienile oggi scomparso proprio in località Porcarole (alias Forcarole), ma la sua corsa, pur smorzata dall'impatto, finì contro la casa colonica adiacente. Ancora oggi, nel lato nord-est della casa, si distingue facilmente a colpo d'occhio la parte di muratura ricostruita. Ulteriore conferma del crash viene dal registro cimiteriale di Polesella che così riporta: «Aviatori abbattuti il 2 agosto 1944 (località Ca' Bianca) non ancora identificati sepolti nelle fosse n° 93-94-95 campo 3°. Esumati il 27 febbraio 1946 e trasportati al cimitero militare di Padova».

Altre informazioni provengono dagli archivi inglesi, nei quali troviamo scritto: «Il Custode del cimitero civile di Polesella afferma che c'erano solo tre corpi, ma si crede che il quarto membro dell'equipaggio potrebbe essere stato disintegrato nel momento dell'impatto, in considerazione del fatto che il relitto si era polverizzato su un'area molto ampia e l'esplosione era stata così terrificante da devastare un fienile completo e gli alberi per una superficie di circa 75 yards».

L'equipaggio del Boston III HK971 era composto dal Pilota F/L J.D.R. Carruthers, dal Navigatore P/O A. Harrison, dal Marconista F/S W. Brady e dal Mitragliere W/O A. Dyer. Nell'urto violentissimo il bombardiere si sbriciolò lungo una striscia di terra di circa 270 metri, mentre i due motori terminarono la loro corsa a circa 130 metri di distanza l'uno dall'altro. Le testimonianze parlano di centinaia di frammenti sparpagliati a perdita d'occhio.

Oggigiorno nei campi adiacenti l'abitazione di proprietà di Mauro Chiorboli che ringraziamo vivamente per la straordinaria disponibilità, si trovano solo pochi frammenti che testimoniano l'evento.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back