Iranian F-14s in combat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My understanding was that when Grumman pulled out, the contractors implemented a last ditch software change to the Flight Control Computers that effectively grounded every F-14. Apparently this was a well planned contingency for allowing the purchase of such a frontline fighter to Iran. Makes you wonder what other DoD/State Department mandated controls are put into our modern defense sales to other countries. No wonder JSF partners are vying for integral roles in development and maintaining the aircraft. Like GPS, these other countries don't likely appreciate the capability of the US being able to pull the plug on national defense assets. With millions of lines of code, it would be rather easy to hide.

Really Matt? That is so cool!

@Matt:

"... My understanding was that when Grumman pulled out, the contractors implemented a last ditch software change to the Flight Control Computers that effectively grounded every F-14. Apparently this was a well planned contingency ..."

Are you saying that no Tom-Cat's flew against the Iraqi AF ....?

My understanding - which may be myth - but nonetheless, my understanding was the the F-14's were used as radar controllers for other Iranian jets such as Phantom's and F-5's. To do that they would need to be airborn .... :)

MM

It was my understanding that the flight control computers are tied in with the fire control capabilities and this was primarily a means of disabling the Phoenix missile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back