Is this true? The Re.2000 was essentially a copied P-35 with improvements?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Daviducus2

Airman
Jul 8, 2009
Read this at The Republic P-44

"After being reorganized as Republic Aviation, an order was taken from Sweden for the EP1-106, essentially a development of the P-35 with 20 inches added to the length of the fuselage. There were other minor changes, not easily spotted. Interesting enough, the Italian's thought highly enough of the P-35/EP1-106 to blatantly copy it as the Reggiane Re.2000. The Italians improved the landing gear, designing a flush folding system. A reworked greenhouse and a different engine installation do little to hide the aircraft's ancestry."

I had not heard that before. I do see the similarity though.

Read this at The Republic P-44

"After being reorganized as Republic Aviation, an order was taken from Sweden for the EP1-106, essentially a development of the P-35 with 20 inches added to the length of the fuselage. There were other minor changes, not easily spotted. Interesting enough, the Italian's thought highly enough of the P-35/EP1-106 to blatantly copy it as the Reggiane Re.2000. The Italians improved the landing gear, designing a flush folding system. A reworked greenhouse and a different engine installation do little to hide the aircraft's ancestry."

I had not heard that before. I do see the similarity though.

Perhaps the design was inspired by the P-35 and someone took a tape measure to a P-35 and went back and designed the Re.2000, but I think that's about it. There are enough differences on the surfaces to say the Re.2000 is an entirely different aircraft. I wouldn't call it a blatant copy. A blatant copy of an aircraft would be the Tu-4 and the B-29.

The TU-4 was a xeroxed clone of the B-29. Your spot on Joe. I read they reproduced it so exact that some of the Russian made parts had the words Boeing on them.

bit like the chinese I guess......copywrite is a completely foreign concept to them I have heard

Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
bit like the chinese I guess......copywrite is a completely foreign concept to them I have heard

Or as I heard a the director of chinese manufacturer on the TV recently say "it is not copyright infringement it is honouring the original designer":shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back