Italian Torpedo Quality

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plane_canadian

Recruit
Jun 21, 2014
Hello,

I seem to recall reading somewhere that one reason the Sparviero didn't score more successes (aside from being made of mostly wood and canvas, that is) was that there was either a defect in Italian torpedoes or that manufacturing quality was low.

Does anyone have any verification of that, or can point me to more information?

Can I suggest the thread http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/weapons-systems-tech-/german-torpedos-11482.html which gives quite good information. There is the suggestion in that thread that torpedoes should ideally not roll as they drop. The problem is that if they roll before going deep on entering the water, then the control surface movement necessary to bring the torpedo to its running depth will cause the torpedo to change its course or "hook". However, as far as I know only Japanese torpedoes were actively moving control surfaces to prevent rolling in 1941. Thus there was a problem with Italian but also with almost all other torpedoes in 1940-1.

The Luftwaffe actually bought and used Italian torpedoes and the general opinion is that they were very satisfactory (see Italian Torpedoes of World War II and Weapons).

The thread does mention the German aiming device TokG-1B and that the RN (and probably the USN) used similar devices. It seems possible that the lack of such a device may have handicapped the Aerosilurante if there was no Italian equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back