Torpedo Armed Beaufighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As mentioned previously, the Beau TFX could carry, and was fitted for, a torpedo, or it could carry rockets, but not both at the same time, according to research so far. By the time of the introduction of the RPs, the use of torpedos in northern waters in the ETO, although probably not curtailed, had greatly diminished, as the RPs, fired in either pairs or a salvo, had more devastating effect, and also greatly reduced the risk to aircraft and crew, on the approach to target.
With a torpedo, the run-in had to be at a specific, relatively low altitude, straight and level, some distance from the target, to allow a smooth, successful drop, and time for the 'fish' to arm. With RPs, a relatively quick, diving attack could be made, following-up with cannon fire, before pulling off target, thereby reducing the exposure to flak. Also, the attacks could be mounted in waves, or a complete 'gaggle', with a whole Flight, or Squadron, taking part. There is a famous photo showing an RP attack on shipping, where the 'gaggle' of Beaus look like bees around a honey pot!
As previously mentioned, the torpedo mounting crutches were retained, and may have been utilised as operations required, although all accounts I have seen to date describe RP attacks.
The 'other' pic of MB-T is also in one of the books I consulted, described as an earlier aircraft and, as Wojtek pointed out, lost on ops.
Note that the box art for the Airfix kit is also slightly inaccurate in the portrayal of the torpedo itself. They were fitted with a wooden 'aerotail', mounted over and around the fins, which was designed to improve aerodynamics whilst slung, lessening drag, and to keep the weapon stable during the drop. This wooden, 'biplane winged' tail assembly broke off on contact with the water.

I recommend the book "The Strike Wings- Special Anti- Shipping Squadrons 1942- 1945"

Whilst you are correct in identifying 489 Squadron as using torpedos, I doubt that they are the only WW2 Squadron who carried torps.

They weren't - there were three Squadrons per Wing, later four per Wing, with two Wings at any one time operational in the northern ETO. The comments regarding use, or otherwise, of torpedoes applies equally to all of these units. Use of torpedoes by Beau squadrons in other theatres may have varied, as the answerers provided were specific to the ETO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back