Well, I know I am a little late getting into this discussion. Although it hasn't been
a whole year yet and I have been a little busy in gathering and researching all
the information I can get my hands on.
After admitting all that crap I would like to take a shot at answering the original
question posed by spicmart.
" I wonder how the Raiden would have fared against the Bearcat if given the right
fuel and a competitive engine as it seemed to have similar mission profile and
similar dimensions."
For the Mitsubishi J2M3/5 I believe the TAIC Report No.105B should work just fine.
(For the Grumman F8F-1 I have used the Bureau of Aeronautics, Navy Department's
report dated 1 June 1945.) Figures for the F8F are in parenthesis.
Altitude / Speed / Climb
Meters / mph / fpm
S.L.........359 / 4835 (394 / 4570)
1,000...374 / 4940 (413 / 4220)
2,000...380 / 4650 (417 / 3705)
3,000...382 / 4270 (413 / 3290)
4,000...403 / 4320 (409 / 3275)
5,000...415 / 4350 (424 / 3115)
6,000...410 / 3760 (434 / 2665)
7,000...404 / 3160 (434 / 2220)
8,000...394 / 2440 (431 / 1755)
9,000...383 / 1850 (425 / 1325)
10,000...368 / 1150 (NG. /--875)
11,000...347 /-..600 (NG. /--575)
Full Throttle Height high s/c height: 417 mph./5,061 m. (434 mph./6,036.6 m.)
Climb Critical Altitude low s/c height: 4,990 fpm./1,311 m. (4,600 fpm./262 m.)
Range Clean / Max.: 670 ml. / 1,300 ml. (1,140 ml. / 1,830 ml.)
Armament 4 x 20 mm./ 200 rpg. (4 x 0.5 in./ 300 rpg.)
Engine: Mitsubishi Kasei 23: 1,870 hp./T.O., 1,940 hp./4,400 ft., 1,785 hp./
16,600 ft.
(Pratt & Whitney R-2800-34W: 2,380 hp./T.O., 2,400 hp./1,000 ft., 1,790 hp./
9,500 ft., 1,850 hp./15,500 ft.)
Combat Weight: 7,320 lb. (9,334 lb.)
Power Loading at max power & take-off weight: 3.773 (3.889) lb./hp.
Wing Loading at take-off weight: 33.92 (38.25) lb./sq. ft.
Service Ceiling: 11,340 m. / 37,200 ft. (11,857 m. / 38,900 ft.)
It appears the Raiden has the advantage of turning ability at speeds under 325 mph.
using its combat flaps. Above that (IMO) large propeller coupled with the raw power
probably gave the Bearcat the advantage in the turn.