Japanese torpedo bomber design

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hmm...Perhaps Blackburn "Firebrand" TF is also in our discussion.

re TBF Avenger and Defiant turret weights

The Grumman 150SE-1 or 150SE-2 turret was fitted to the TBF/TBM Avenger. The weight (minus gunner, but with all equipment including ammo) was ~645 lbs as installed. The total ammo load for the turret gun was 400 rounds.

The BP Type A Mk IID was the 4-gun turret fitted to Defiant, with similar models in the Roc and as top turret on several bomber aircraft. The weight (minus gunner, but with all equipment including ammo) was ~644 lbs as installed. The ammo load for the Defiant was 600 rpg, or 2400 rounds total.

It should be noted that the Grumman 150SE turret had significantly heavier armour incorporated than the BP Type A turret.

Last edited:
That's like 4 BB guns in typical combat. Could use four 50-cal (12.7 mm) or four 20 mm.
A manned turret with four 50.cal or four 20mm?! We're getting into Mech Warrior territory now.

mw5m.jpg

That's like 4 BB guns in typical combat.

Could use four 50-cal (12.7 mm) or four 20 mm. Somewhere in there the weight of the ammunition will create CG / payload issues. Maybe it needs an R-2800 up front to compensate.

This can get complicated ...
Many an aircraft improved when R-2800 stepped in ...

Many an aircraft improved when R-2800 stepped in ...
True. It's too bad the Pratt & Whitney R-4360 Wasp Major was late to the game. Imagine flying your 1,200 hp A6M when a 3,000 hp F2G Corsair is closing in!

If a single seat fighter was optimized for high altitude ops, would 500 mph be possible with the R-4360? We'd need to deal with all that engine drag.

I bet the Grumman F7F Tigercat would roar with a pair of Wasp Majors! And I think the hilarity of a Grumman XF5F Skyrocket thus powered would be incredible to watch, with near Me 163 (okay, that's a stretch) rate of climb.

Last edited:
I ain't no engineer but the C.O.G. looks a little high
It might have a suitably-weighted butt, together with an ass-cannon located right where you think it might be in case you try to sneak up from behind. It might have smart butt-radar, too. New meaning to the words "tail gunner."

It would be tough to explain to the Almighty when you get there that you were killed by a butt gun trying to sneak up from behind to kill it. The Almighty perhaps would have a hard time keeping a straight face. The requirements for admission might change to screen out overly-stupid life-ending shenanigans, perhaps worded a bit better than this ... sort of like excluding people who won the Darwin Award without really trying, thereby making a statement about their future reproductive potential.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back